It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

93-year-old homeowner shoots, critically wounds intruder after crooks kick in his door, attack him

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Homeowner Joe Teague told KNBC-TV the group — which consisted of "ladies and men" — "kicked the door open," after which "the big guy, he came at me" and the rest of the group "started throwing objects that [were] in the house at me."

Teague added to the station that "when they broke in, they got a lot of my equipment, and I approached them to put them under citizens arrest," he noted to the station, adding that "I kept telling them, 'I have a shotgun with three shells in it,' but I actually only had one. And they kept throwing stuff at me."
With that, Teague fired his shotgun once, hitting one of the intruders...

The intruder, Joseph Ortega, is not expected to survive.

Every time you break into someones house, you're playing Russian roulette with your life. Sooner or later, you're going to pull the trigger on the wrong house and the gun is going to go off. Blame yourself, not the man or woman you used to commit suicide.
Link

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Homeowner Joe Teague told KNBC-TV the group — which consisted of "ladies and men" — "kicked the door open," after which "the big guy, he came at me" and the rest of the group "started throwing objects that [were] in the house at me."

Teague added to the station that "when they broke in, they got a lot of my equipment, and I approached them to put them under citizens arrest," he noted to the station, adding that "I kept telling them, 'I have a shotgun with three shells in it,' but I actually only had one. And they kept throwing stuff at me."

Every time you break into someones house, you're playing Russian roulette with your life. Sooner or later, you're going to pull the trigger on the wrong house and the gun is going to go off. Blame yourself, not the man or woman you used to commit suicide.
Link

Disgusting, we really need to do something about the gun problem in America. No man or woman should have to fear being shot while breaking into a stranger's house!

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Link

Someone get that man some more ammo now!

Good on him but for future events you should have a decent supply of ammo because you never know if it's gonna be 1 or 10 who come through your door.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Is there a duty to retreat in California? Were the things that were being thrown at him capable of causing death or great bodily injury?

It seems a little bit insane to me as an Australian that you guys just shoot people for break and enter in USA - and generally get away with it. Its also a little insane to me that people like you always celebrate these people that shoot and kill intruders as heroes.

I like to watch the cop videos on youtube and I watched one recently where this redneck shot at his redneck neighbour for pulling down a fence to put up another because there was some dispute about the property boundaries or something. The redneck that shot at the guy fully believed that he could legally murder his neighbour for trespassing - but the cop told him that he had to be in fear of his life to be able to shoot at the guy. Even so the guy that shot at his neighbour was not arrested - the cop just let it slide. HA! Thats crazy to an Australian.

But yeah - I remember years ago I was visiting my parents and my teenage brother had stolen a toolbox out of someones shed. I asked him why he would do that. He said he didnt know. I think he was drunk or hanging out with the wrong crowd or maybe both. What he did was wrong but I do not think it would have been acceptable for the owner of the shed to have murdered him over it.

edit - You guys are pretty murderous hey.
edit on 1-7-2022 by thelastman because: murderous

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: thelastman
Is there a duty to retreat in California? Were the things that were being thrown at him capable of causing death or great bodily injury?

It seems a little bit insane to me as an Australian that you guys just shoot people for break and enter in USA - and generally get away with it. Its also a little insane to me that people like you always celebrate these people that shoot and kill intruders as heroes.

I like to watch the cop videos on youtube and I watched one recently where this redneck shot at his redneck neighbour for pulling down a fence to put up another because there was some dispute about the property boundaries or something. The redneck that shot at the guy fully believed that he could legally murder his neighbour for trespassing - but the cop told him that he had to be in fear of his life to be able to shoot at the guy. Even so the guy that shot at his neighbour was not arrested - the cop just let it slide. HA! Thats crazy to an Australian.

But yeah - I remember years ago I was visiting my parents and my teenage brother had stolen a toolbox out of someones shed. I asked him why he would do that. He said he didnt know. I think he was drunk or hanging out with the wrong crowd or maybe both. What he did was wrong but I do not think it would have been acceptable for the owner of the shed to have murdered him over it.

You have ever a right in the US to protect yourself your family and property up to and including death.

I live in a red state that has constitutional carry had this group kicked in my door they would have faced 16 in the clip and one in the hole justice served hot 🔥.

We view your laws the same as you view ours I couldn't imagine not having the right to protect my self my family and property from criminals with ill intent.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Themaskedbeast

Yeah - I couldnt imagine living somewhere where a guy like you could shoot and murder my little brother for breaking into your shed and stealing a toolbox. Different cultures I guess. Glad my brother is still alive. He is a good guy. People make mistakes.

+18 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: thelastman

They didn't kick down his door because they just couldn't wait to be his friend.

A duty to retreat? Are you serious? Were the objects being thrown capable of causing death or great bodily injury? Really?

The PEOPLE who kicked his door in are capable of causing death. Who gives a flying phuck what they were throwing at him? Their intent was to disarm him. Once that was done there is no telling what they would have done to him. Not only was he justified in his actions, he should get a medal for it.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   

It seems a little bit insane to me as an Australian that you guys just shoot people for break and enter in USA

Are you freakin' serious?
What are we supposed to do, say "Hi, welcome! Help yourself to my stuff." ?

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   
`Come in my house to try and steal from me... I dont care where you are from, i have the right to take you down and protect me and my family to be safe.
end of story .

+14 more 
link   

If he is such a great guy why is he a thief?

You keep calling it murder. Its not if you are defending your self or your home.

Maybe instead of trying to excuse his actions you could teach him to respect other people and their property so they don't have to shoot his dumb ass...

link   

Yeah - I couldnt imagine living somewhere where a guy like you could shoot and murder my little brother for breaking into your shed and stealing a toolbox. Different cultures I guess. Glad my brother is still alive. He is a good guy. People make mistakes.

Yea I'm glad your brother didn't win a Darwin award either maybe you should teach him if it's not his don't touch it.

Also it wouldn't be murder your brother would not be the victim I would have been a victim who protected myself and property from a criminal with I'll intent towards me.

edit on 1-7-2022 by Themaskedbeast because: Added a little

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   

See, if your little brother kicks in the door of the elderly then what do you expect? Should the old man just wait to be killed by your little brother?

Really, I don't understand the passive mentality.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I guess criminals never hurt or kill people ever, so no need to shoot them before they kill you.

Funny thing if you try a Google search for homeowner killed by intruder, all they want to show is that the homeowner killed a buglar! Great way to manipulate the masses.

So what are the top crimes these days anyways?

Have you ever wondered what are the most common crimes in the United States? According to statistics obtained from the FBI, a property crime was reported about every three seconds in the U.S., and a violent crime was reported about every 22 seconds. Those are sobering statistics. Contrary to what most people think, property crimes are by far the most reported crimes in the United States, not violent crimes; property crimes are about ten times more prevalent than violent crimes. Property crimes reported annually total more than ten million, while violent crimes hover somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 million each year.

1. LARCENY / THEFT
Larceny-theft hits the top of the crime list, far outweighing any other crime. The numbers of larceny-theft in this country are staggering – more than 7 million reported each year, making up almost sixty percent of all reported crimes.

2. BURGLARY
The next most prevalent crime is burglary, another property crime. Burglary reports total around 2 million each year, making up about 18 percent of all crimes reported.

3. MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT
Thieves do a thriving business in stolen cars, apparently – there are more than a million stolen cars in the U.S. every year. Car theft accounts for more than ten percent of all reported crimes annually in the United States.

4. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
Violent crime comes into the top 5 most common crimes in the United States at number four on the list. According to Princeton.edu, aggravated assault is defined as an attack with intent to cause grave injury to another, and can involve a weapon. With or without a weapon, aggravated assault accounts for about 7 percent of all reported crimes.

5. ROBBERY
The robbery comes in at number five on the top five most common crimes in the United States. Robbery is not simple theft – it is a violent crime, and theft performed directly on a person or place. If you are ever mugged, that is robbery. A stick-up of a grocery or liquor store clerk is robbery. There are close to half a million robberies each year in the United States, and they account for about 3 percent of all crimes.

So all these criminals robbing and stealing, they would NEVER hurt you in the process right? We should just let them take our stuff and they will leave us alone. They probably won't rape your wife or daughter if they had the chance.

Looks like 1 out of 10 are violent crimes, good odds eh?

Me, I am taking out anyone who breaks into my house. Probably with my bare hands too.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TWS1969
I guess criminals never hurt or kill people ever, so no need to shoot them before they kill you.

Funny thing if you try a Google search for homeowner killed by intruder, all they want to show is that the homeowner killed a buglar! Great way to manipulate the masses.

So what are the top crimes these days anyways?

Have you ever wondered what are the most common crimes in the United States? According to statistics obtained from the FBI, a property crime was reported about every three seconds in the U.S., and a violent crime was reported about every 22 seconds. Those are sobering statistics. Contrary to what most people think, property crimes are by far the most reported crimes in the United States, not violent crimes; property crimes are about ten times more prevalent than violent crimes. Property crimes reported annually total more than ten million, while violent crimes hover somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 million each year.

1. LARCENY / THEFT
Larceny-theft hits the top of the crime list, far outweighing any other crime. The numbers of larceny-theft in this country are staggering – more than 7 million reported each year, making up almost sixty percent of all reported crimes.

2. BURGLARY
The next most prevalent crime is burglary, another property crime. Burglary reports total around 2 million each year, making up about 18 percent of all crimes reported.

3. MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT
Thieves do a thriving business in stolen cars, apparently – there are more than a million stolen cars in the U.S. every year. Car theft accounts for more than ten percent of all reported crimes annually in the United States.

4. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
Violent crime comes into the top 5 most common crimes in the United States at number four on the list. According to Princeton.edu, aggravated assault is defined as an attack with intent to cause grave injury to another, and can involve a weapon. With or without a weapon, aggravated assault accounts for about 7 percent of all reported crimes.

5. ROBBERY
The robbery comes in at number five on the top five most common crimes in the United States. Robbery is not simple theft – it is a violent crime, and theft performed directly on a person or place. If you are ever mugged, that is robbery. A stick-up of a grocery or liquor store clerk is robbery. There are close to half a million robberies each year in the United States, and they account for about 3 percent of all crimes.

So all these criminals robbing and stealing, they would NEVER hurt you in the process right? We should just let them take our stuff and they will leave us alone. They probably won't rape your wife or daughter if they had the chance.

Looks like 1 out of 10 are violent crimes, good odds eh?

Me, I am taking out anyone who breaks into my house. Probably with my bare hands too.

I don't know about you but when cracked out Brock Lesnar is breaking g down my front door to steal/kill for more drugs I'm not taking his giant ass hand to hand I'm gonna shoot.

Have you ever fought someone on DRUGS?

You can knock them put and they do the undertaker and just keep getting back up they won't stop.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:54 AM
link   

That’s because you don’t understand the law.

In the US we have three different protection laws depending on the state.

Duty to retreat.

Castle Doctrine

Stand your ground.

None of these apply to a shed. They are all only supposed to apply to the house.

Google is your friend.
edit on 1-7-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

The press release says that the homeowner had already called police and he had the suspects at gunpoint.. I dont know about you but I probably would not throw objects at a guy pointing a gun at me - but even if they did you dont know that the objects were capable of causing death or great bodily harm.

From another article -

“He was tired because every time he calls the police, [they took] forever to come and assist him,” Malma said. “He took the law into his own hands.”

www.thedailybeast.com...

Hmmm. SO this has happened before but the guy was never injured.. What makes you think these intruders intended to injure him? He took the law into his own hands? Indeed. Ha.

But yeah dont stress - no doubt the cops that are apparently still investigating have the same mindset as you do. Their press release says that the homeowner was "justified".. America. HA!

I love your cop videos. Crazy stuff.

edit - A lot of you guys are just itching to murder someone right? Some criminal that doesnt deserve to live.
edit on 1-7-2022 by thelastman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Posting that it will be by my bare hands simply means I was not pre-meditating anything

I live in Commie Canada, hell in a handbasket we are

This is a public forum, no need to self incriminate
edit on 1-7-2022 by TWS1969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

When some friendly thief breaks into his home, kindly removes his possessions (which I'm certain he'll be happy to donate), then ties him up, rapes his wife and daughter, then kills them all so that there'll be no witnesses, he might change his mind.

When someone enters my home illegally and without my permission, I cannot know what that person is capable off or what that person might do. My only concern is protecting my family. Perhaps this individual is happy to sit around waiting to see what might develop. I'd just as soon un-invite you to be in my home, aggressively if necessary.

You don't want your little brother to get shot? Advise the little idiot to not go into people's homes uninvited. That way, you won't have to stand in front of a news crew camera proclaiming, "He di'n't doo nuffin'!"

:

edit on 2022 7 01 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

They decided to break in knowing some people are armed and will shoot. They were warned that the homeowner was armed. They continued the robbery.

They made decisions that created a situation where the home owner was reasonably fearful of his life because he knew they were willing to risk their lives to take his stuff. Any reasonable person would not have put themselves in that situation.

All the actions were desided by the attackers and not the home owner.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I hope it never happens to you, but when a couple of guys decide to break into your house with the intent to steal what you worked for, and decide it would be a lot more fun to beat you senseless and rape your wife and daughter, I suspect knowing they eventually got caught will leave you with little solace knowing you could have prevented all of it if you had only bothered to prepare for just such an event.

No, I do not feel one bit sorry for the guy who who committed suicide. I do feel sorry for the old man who had to put him down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join