It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSTA Guide Advises Against the Use of Parent, Male, Female, Mother and Father

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Now the largest association of science teachers in the world has issued a guide for “anti-oppression” terminology for science teachers. In the guide, titled “Gender-Inclusive Biology: A framework in action,” the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) has called for “gender-inclusive biology,” which includes the abandonment of terms like “parent,” “men,” “women,” “mother,” and “father.”

Under the guide, mothers are now referred to as “persons with ovaries”...
...fathers are now “persons with testes.”
...teachers are encouraged to drop terms like “male” in favor of “XY individuals.”

The NSTA suggests that this can be a fun exercise like having students come up with an entirely new name for the word “parents,” such as “gene-givers” or “biological life transmitters.”

Link

I realize this topic has been covered a LOT on ATS, but in light of everything going on in this world, I think it's important to take notice when the National Science Teachers Association goes woke and intends to take our children to the next level of looney.

The article goes on to say, "This is not likely to be viewed as a fun exercise by some teachers or students, including those with opposing deeply religious views." You people think only the religious are offended by your Reality Deficit Disorder? Think again.

I am not a strict traditionalist or a puritan. Your sexuality is your business, not mine. What ever you want to identify as is fine by me, but when you insist that I participate in your delusion, that's where we part company...

...don't get mad at me because I still see blue and call it what it is.

Whether you like it or don't, I will still be calling my PARENTS what they are. MOTHER and FATHER. I refuse do reduce them to biological labels meant to de-humanize them, me, and everyone else on this planet.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche.
edit on 5/22/2022 by Klassified because: spelling and eta

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

At least it's nothing more than a professional organization that anyone can join and not something that can actually establish and enforce such guidelines.

I did think this graphic from the study itself was rather funny.

And here's a good list of quotes for that are up for the "It totally happened!" award.

When we intentionally teach about gender in biology, we are able to shape the way students understand themselves, science, and society. One of our students who identifies as transgender said, “Your class is the reason I know what I want my career [in STEM] to be, and that means a lot to me.” One intersex student cited a gender-inclusive biology course as “one of the motivations that makes me believe school isn’t just a hell hole.” A cisgender ninth grader said after a gender-inclusive meiosis activity, “This makes much more sense because lots of different people are out there and this way you understand better when you meet someone new.”

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

At least it's nothing more than a professional organization that anyone can join and not something that can actually establish and enforce such guidelines.

True, but it is the largest of its kind, which means it have a measurable amount of influence on science education.

And here's a good list of quotes for that are up for the "It totally happened!" award.

Indeed.

+6 more 
posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This isn't about being inclusive.

It *is* about being anti-family. Families are not a religious construct. They are a natural one. Look all around the natural world and you will see various forms of family. They are necessary for the proper rearing of the offspring.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Good. We need to progress as society progresses.

I really hate: "It's always been done that way".

I'm a Guardian. I find it very annoying when a form says only: "Mother" "Father".

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This whole movement dehumanizes parents. 'Sperm donor' has long been used for fathers who have provided nothing more to the child's life.

'Hero worship' has long been described to the feelings kids have towards their fathers. 'Reverence' and 'undying love' for ones mother will now be something more endearing to express the deepest of emotions to 'my ovarian person' or 'my former incubator' ?

It's going to take a long time to disconnect the family unit and relegate their positions to 'its' and 'things'. At least, I hope that's the case.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Sure you hated it when the kid you raised made the grave mistake.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Sure you hated it when the kid you raised made the grave mistake.

No clue what you're talking about.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
This whole movement dehumanizes parents.

No it doesn't.

What makes a "parent"?

Those who raise the kid.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

You were a "guardian", a primary caregiver, the person some kid loved like their biological parent. Depending on the age at which that happened, they likely called you mom at least once.
edit on 22-5-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: nugget1
This whole movement dehumanizes parents.

No it doesn't.

What makes a "parent"?

Those who raise the kid.

Duh! But this tells people *they* aren't even supposed to be called mom or dad. You can't use the words at all.

Maybe you leftists are the only ones so literal as think only the biological parents can own those terms. The rest of the world knows that a family are the ones who love and raise the kids whether they actually gave birth to them or not. You don't strip the words mother and father from everyone just because not everyone is a biological parent.

This is anti-family.

+5 more 
posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

We need to progress as society progresses.

This is NOT progress.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

We need to progress as society progresses.

This is NOT progress.

Yes, actually it is.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I’m trying to imagine what would have happened to me if I referred to my mother or father using terms like these. I can’t think of anything more disrespectful to my parents. Or is that the point of this whole thing, to be as disrespectful and as clinical as you can be to traditional parents to justify an unnatural ideology.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'm sure you think it is. The monkeys would likely disagree.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

I’m trying to imagine what would have happened to me if I referred to my mother or father using terms like these. I can’t think of anything more disrespectful to my parents. Or is that the point of this whole thing, to be as disrespectful and as clinical as you can be to traditional parents to justify an unnatural ideology.

What generation would that be?

"Traditional" -- right up there with: "It's always been done this way".

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Any mother or father can teach their children whatever they please.
They may be wrong but it's their child.
Speaking about actual biological parents.

BUT: They can't be upset or surprised when that child comes back with mental issues and has to "self-identify" as some imaginary being that doesn't exist outside their imaginary internet utopia and hate their hair color.

Progess isn't being made when someone stops using the word "mother" or "father" to describe their actual parents. On the contrary, it's being hindered. If we keep stumbling on these "new-age" ideas we will end up as autonomous idiots that have no clue as to where we came from.

Oh I have an "person with ovaries" parent and a "testes-having" parent.
What a complete and utter joke.

Wrong. You have a mother and a father.
Woman and man.
Male and female.

Let's not convolute biology.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   

How about every generation before this one. Call it what you will, it is still disrespectful. And yes it’s always been that way, so tell me, why do you support this way of thinking? I’m really trying to understand this. What in your opinion is so wrong with the traditional family? And why should we change to suit a minority of society that is desperately trying to legitimize itself?

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Good. We need to progress as society progresses.

I really hate: "It's always been done that way".

I'm a Guardian. I find it very annoying when a form says only: "Mother" "Father".

Guardian is just a fancy word for parent, unless you are a licensed employee and would easily quit your occupation and assigned ward to pursue more rewarding opportunities. Sometimes kinship is biology and often it isn't.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I see retardation identifying as "progress" in your post...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join