It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Now I Have Done It ----- Resolved

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Maybe not me, but something bad sure has happened.
My three year old Dell desktop may be fried.
And I have no idea why it happened.
There was a BIOS update from last month. I hate doing those thing.
But night he bullet and did it tonight.

%#&#$%#@!!!!!!!!!!
Liked nirmal, except at the end of did some weird thing about checking hardware and said all was ok.

But then it all went wrong.
Windows would not start.
Self repair didn't.
Neither did system restore.

I guess Registry is farked.
Can it get repaired???quote
Is it an now nothing more than an expensive door prop???

SIGH!!!!!!!

ETA
It appeared to be a "successful" BIOS update.
And the PC is plugged into battery back up, so no power disruptions.
edit on Fri May 20 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

It's FIXED
edit on Wed Jun 22 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Why does the resident Mom and ATS Administrator have the most computer help threads DToM!?!?!?!?!

You can check the bios and make sure that the drive that contains your Windows install is pointed to as priority. Sometimes defaults are applied that aren't intended with BIOS updates.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI
Good question.

ATS members are the people I trust for my computer stuff

Windows won't start, so no clue h o w to check BIOS?

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Without a better description there's only much to be said-
If you find a local IT support company they might be able to sort the whole think it for about $150, but it's hard telling without seeing it.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ahh the blue screen of death. My favorite. I had the same issue with my touch smart n could never get it to work again even with a new hard drive no idea why.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:23 PM
link   

You can start here.

When you get to the bios screen, look for the 'boot' category. Whichever drive your Windows install is on, should be first in the list, or priority. Haven't worked on a Dell in a long time so my memory is sketchy.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I don't get what you're supposed to do after clicking one that uefi-bios box.

#8 says to restart???

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:36 PM
link   

You didn't say what Windows version, but:

If you did a BIOS update, Windows may see your motherboard as something different than before. Like taking your hard drive out and putting it in a different computer. In which case Windows may say, "Nope, can't do that. You need to buy another copy of Windows."

Or, it could be Windows may not have the correct drivers for the updated BIOS.

Either way, the solution would be to go back to the old BIOS. Dell should have older BIOS for your motherboard available for download, along with the program to re-flash the BIOS. It may also be possible to revert back to the old BIOS if the flash program saved a copy.

Without knowing the computer I can't get more specific than that. Good luck

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom
How do your find the motherboard you have?
Does Dell have that info?

And Windows 10.

edit on Thu May 19 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I don't get what you're supposed to do after clicking one that uefi-bios box.

#8 says to restart???

Can you get to the BIOS screen using the F2 key?

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I despise the unwilling windows updates. I have had two computers totally crash. Each one roughly 2 - 3 years apart. After the first one, and no way to recover, I bought another computer. Two years later, another update I could not avoid, and it crashed the relatively new computer. I had to install a new OS...crazy. At least I had an external hard drive ....a learning experience from the first time this happened...

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'll try that.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:54 PM
link   

First thing I'd do is take out any other drives and non-essential hardware, any USB devices except the keyboard and mouse and, try. If you have an onboard gpu connector, I'd take the video card out too, and try that.. If it still doesn't boot, I'd try different USB ports for the mouse and keyboard, to rule out a flaky port. If it boots, then replace the parts one by one and if does it again, you know that's a bad component. Could be anything, so you need to try everything.

My PC went wonky once. Turned out one of the m2 cards had died. And it wasn't even the boot drive.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You should have a service tag id on the back of the desktop. You would enter that service tag here Dell Support and it should take you to your computer/drivers download page where you can find a section called bios.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Turned out one of the m2 cards

As in more than one?

No need to brag!!!!

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: VictorVonDoom
How do your find the motherboard you have?
Does Dell have that info?

And Windows 10.

Yes. Go to their website's support page. With your model and/or serial number you should be able to go to the drivers section and it will have the BIOS versions for you along with the flash program and instructions. You may need to burn a boot CD so you can flash the BIOS before the computer tries to load from the hard drive.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

That is way beyond me, but thanks.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Do you have a link to the bios you downloaded?

Do you know the version you upgraded from?

I would look at the change log to see which settings have changed.

I know a lot of manufacturers are releasing bios updates to change the settings to be compatible with Windows 11 system requirements. This is just a guess at what the issue might be.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   
What is the error message you are receiving? Are you seeing an error code like this. ie: 0x80040002 ?
For anyone who wants to decipher those stupid hex codes check this link How to Convert Hex Windows Error Codes to the Meaningful Error Message
edit on 5/19/2022 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:09 PM
link   

This is just my conspiracy mind talking but I think after so many BIOS updates eventually your PC just gives you the " Black Screen of Death " telling you it's time to buy a new computer.

I mean something has to keep the Computer market rotating it's not unlike cars at 100,000 miles they just start falling apart.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join