It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Debt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm 100% against it.

Not only does this fcvk over responsible college grads who suffered by responsibly paying their way through college, the fact is the "student loan crisis" is not a crisis at all.

These people are not poor victims. The banks didn't stalk them like serial killers and force them into some abusive contract at gunpoint.

These people willingly signed a document agreeing to pay back six-figure sums to the bank. So self-assured were they in paying back these sums, that they got a friend or relative to CO-SIGN said contract.

That's right. Where is mom and dad in this argument? They are usually the one who co-signed the loan! You're the one who now has to pay back the debt that your hell-spawn has shirked out on!

I'm not crying any tears for you! My dad refused to co-sign anything when I asked for it. I did not have a co-signer for any student loans. I did not have a co-signer for my first mortgage. My entire life I have had to suffer through earning credit lines with my credit score alone, and have had to pay back all my debts in full.

I have a good credit score now, and it's been a long hard crawl to earn it entirely with my own blood sweat and tears.

Why are the most irresponsible of us getting the free money?

We should be reward the most responsible of us with free money! We would put it to better use!

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloneFarm1000

1 course college degrees.

Instead of requiring 4-5 classes per semester to obtain a degree, issue class specific degrees.

A psychologist doesn't need to take math class.

An accountant doesn't need to take a history class.

Course like this already exist, or at least they used to, I know because I did one.

We did have some different subjects, but it was all directly related to my core course subject, which effectively meant zero sports, arts, or humanities. Only subjects based around my chosen science.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
As long as college loans are guaranteed by the government, there is no reason for colleges to reign in costs. They get their money no matter what. No risk.

It may also have something to d with them paying who knows how much for Diversity advisors.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CloneFarm1000

apprenticeship in a trade is another alternative.

associate degree instead of a bachelor degree in: automotive, HVAC, welding, machining, and plumbing would also be a good alternative to a four year degree.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
College used to be more of a finishing school. Liberal arts was designed to make you well rounded across a variety of subjects.

The problem is that now college is mostly vocational in that the vast majority attend to better their employment prospects. In addition, because the work force supply has increased so much, employers are requiring degrees for jobs that really shouldn't require it.

Further, the government backing student loans has resulted in tuition inflation.

In the short term, the only way to reign in costs is to cut off student loans for the vast majority of students. Student loans should be privately funded with no government intervention. This would result in underwriting credit risk of the students considering future earnings. In addition, we need to encourage trade schools and other quicker degree programs.

This.

In addition lets not forget the GREAT CON that you won't be successful or considered intelligent unless you get a college degree. This caused parents to push their kids to get ANY degree, because without a degree they would be looked upon as ignorant or unsuccessful .

Shocking how a 4 year degree in sexual studies of a cookie didn't end up paying their $100K school loan.

I remember when I started looking at careers I was also looking at the ROI in the cost of that education. I don't think that is discussed or pushed any-longer.

I think people started to believe in the "just do what you love, follow your heart" Yeah to a point. So unless you or your family is extremely wealthy you are likely better off in an STEM degree than say racial studies in potatoes.

When I went to college and decided on majoring in an Engineering degree I also looked at current pay , current demand, saturation of the market, and future demand as well. I think somehow this part of the equation has been removed or forgotten all together. This is also something that has to be revisited when specializing and for the continuation of your career path.

I have already drilled into my kids that I have no problem paying for their education as long as its worth the ROI in the career path. You want me to pay for your art degree , show me the demand, the average pay not unicorns, future prospect , and that a degree is actually required to get into the industry.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join