It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Union Busting with John Oliver

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   
High there!

This is going to be the start for a series of threads with John. Decent research team and one of the sharpest ever. It's always worth your time, but not every episode is straight up awesome like this one. There's a bit of Striketober and "remember, remember 5th of November" in the air, innit?

Have at it!

John Oliver discusses the mechanics of union busting, why the companies who do it face so few consequences, and what it really means when your manager wants to talk to you about “your attendance.”

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   
His show is increasingly more difficult to watch in it's entirety due to his leftist pandering and conservative bashing which means even when he's factually correct, you should scrutinize it.

That said, I'm pro union in their purest form, but there needs to be a balance so they don't end up abusing that power and corrupting themselves like so many have.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Paschar0

I agree the problem comes in when unions become larger than the entities they represent against. You can't tell me that it's a good idea to allow one or two organizations to represent all teachers in the nation, for example, or actually allow government employees at all to unionize - the taxpayers end up entirely cut out of the loop.

And how is it a good thing when the workers at all three of the major US auto makers ended up represented by the very same labor org? There is a reason why the Japanese could outcompete them, and this is one of those reasons, just one of them, but not an inconsiderable one.

And like anything, when an organization premises itself on always making your life better, and the major needs are fought for and won, they end up in danger of becoming largely irrelevant until and unless they continue to find new ways to "fight for you" and those fights aren't always ones that need fighting. This is a problem with certain social advocacy groups too.

I suppose it's like anything - a union is a large bureaucratic structure composed of humans, much like corporations and the government. Just because it's your sonuvabitch doesn't mean it's inherently good. The people in the power structure are just as prone to being corrupt as they would be in any other similar large bureaucratic power structure and because of that, it's just as prone to all the major power abuse faults of such structures.
edit on 19-11-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Spartakush

I like John Oliver myself.

What do you make of those inhouse videos from Amazon and the like?

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I will say that unions have murdered companies with their demands, and I have worked for unions and thoroughly hated the experience every single time.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   
John should go hang with Piers Morgan and do a show about UK politics. Bond made people with British accents sound smart, J. Oliver makes British people sound moronic.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

What do you make of those inhouse videos from Amazon and the like?

Excellent propaganda lectures when you look at them through the lenses of a social study, if that makes sense. What's your impression of those clips?

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thing is union members are apt to get higher pay rates than non-members.

They are also likely to get better sickness benefits, pension benefits, more paid holiday's

Also greater control over things like there shift times and working hours in general.

The reason being workers join together and unite to negotiate their pay and conditions with their companies rather than leaving that up to managers and the like.

www.epi.org... -and-wages/

I guess there are good and bad people in all walks of like ketsuko unions and there members being no different.
edit on 19-11-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Main impression being i would not wish to work under that kind of environment nor have managers monitoring whither or not i think a fair day pay(living wage) for a fair days work should be the colour of the day, which it should without question imho.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   

All I have to say is if you don't live in one of the 22 states that have Right To Work States laws, consider moving to one now.

Right to work laws are statutes which are currently enforced in twenty-two states in the U.S. These states, which are mostly located in the western or southern portion of the United States, allow provisions of the federal Taft-Hartley Act, which impede the formation of agreements between employers and labor unions that make payment of union dues, membership or fees a matter of employment, either before or after hiring, which requires the workplace to temporarily be a closed shop (a form of union security agreement where the employer agrees to hire union members and the working employees must stay members of the union at all times in order to remain employed).

Right to Work States

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I agree the problem comes in when unions become larger than the entities they represent against. You can't tell me that it's a good idea to allow one or two organizations to represent all teachers in the nation, for example, or actually allow government employees at all to unionize - the taxpayers end up entirely cut out of the loop.

And how is it a good thing when the workers at all three of the major US auto makers ended up represented by the very same labor org? There is a reason why the Japanese could outcompete them, and this is one of those reasons, just one of them, but not an inconsiderable one.

And like anything, when an organization premises itself on always making your life better, and the major needs are fought for and won, they end up in danger of becoming largely irrelevant until and unless they continue to find new ways to "fight for you" and those fights aren't always ones that need fighting. This is a problem with certain social advocacy groups too.

I suppose it's like anything - a union is a large bureaucratic structure composed of humans, much like corporations and the government. Just because it's your sonuvabitch doesn't mean it's inherently good. The people in the power structure are just as prone to being corrupt as they would be in any other similar large bureaucratic power structure and because of that, it's just as prone to all the major power abuse faults of such structures.

Exactly, I'm not sure but don't some industries have local unions that are tied to state and national unions? or at least that's how I thought it worked?

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Thing is union members are apt to get higher pay rates than non-members.

They are also likely to get better sickness benefits, pension benefits, more paid holiday's

Also greater control over things like there shift times and working hours in general.

The reason being workers join together and unite to negotiate their pay and conditions with their companies rather than leaving that up to managers and the like.

www.epi.org... -and-wages/

I guess there are good and bad people in all walks of like ketsuko unions and there members being no different.

Unions make it so that everyone is mediocre. Their founding is also rooted in racism to keep out skilled bkakcs who woukd work for less.

If you are a hard worker and can excel beyond the union negotiated wages, you lose by being part if a union. If you are a slacker, unuons bring you up to the average.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I think that local unions run under a charter from the national unions and international ones.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Never had any sort of racist problems with unions over here myself Edumakated.

Thatcher smashed most of ours in the 80s all the same here in the UK.

Want to have seen what she done to the miners and steelworkers, was not very nice, with peoples life's destroyed and entire generation of people no longer needed nor required.

Like i suggest all the same, people who are part of a union get higher pay rates, more control over the working environment and their hours.

Guess its simple preference but one that should be an uninhibited choice surly?

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I was in a union one time back in my college days. It was ridiculous. Hated it. Never do it again.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   
There is an ATS member that still watches these shills?
Who knew...

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TomCollin
a reply to: putnam6

I think that local unions run under a charter from the national unions and international ones.

So does a local union have at least some autonomy? or is it every move has to be sanctioned from higher up.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I've never been part of a union so I can't really speak to it from experience. Have family from years ago that all worked factory jobs and the ones that had unions got great pay, benefits and couldn't be fired by a woke mob if it existed at the time.
Granted they were just regular guys and not the dumbest or the brightest but they had nice homes, college money for kids and weekends off.

The down side are dues? What else?

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Unions are good when a national government goes tyrannical. They can apply severe pressure like with this virus, the oil industry and police.

Unions are however not good when they demand workers should be making $50 an hour screwing bolts on equipment like they did with Caterpillar. Caterpillar finally had enough. Shutdown the plant and moved to a non union state. This happened in York, PA. They thought they would break Caterpillar. They did not. It devastated the town and financially ruined thousands of people.

Unions are also horrible during a crisis like a storm or flood. They will not allow workers in to speed up repairs so the people suffer for a much longer period of time. I experienced this on the east coast during Super Storm Sandy. They would not even let National Guard in to help.

posted on Nov, 19 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   

They make the companies uncompetitive and eventually devolve into laziness. All one has to do is look at the UAW and the Big 3. Car companies locating to SC, Alabama, pay great wages and are far more competitive operationally.

The issue is that if you can excel beyond the union standards, you are limiting your personal growth.

Unions also create a worker vs management culture which I don't think is completely healthy.

Unions have their place, but overall I think they are anti-competitive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join