It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GUNS just saved another life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Guns used in defence far outweigh guns used in ANY other instance

EVERY instance where rapists and thieves think twice is an instance of a gun used in self defence

And again. Gun rights will not be taken away simply because of the wishes of a gutless fascist.

And THAT, is the most upsetting part for them.

Poor Troy Skinner, got shot, never harmed a single person, and will spend longer behind bars than ANYONE from his home country.
The woman who shot him, was never so much as questioned about her firearm.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Every day, approximately 130 Americans die by suicide. (CDC)
So your 100's a day by guns in the USA is more misinformation from you.

SUICIDE FACTS

So perhaps where you are you feel safe from evil but unfortunately the world is not a safe place for many.

Perhaps you think these people defending themselves with guns should have just allowed the criminal to have their way?

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.

That Time The CDC Asked About Defensive Gun Uses

That was from 2008 and the appearance of the more radical news and events would appear to indicate in my opinion that for the USA guns for defensive purposes would be up.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:41 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: JBurns

A bit of a melodramatic title.

It was clearly a sexual assault, but we don't know if her life was in danger.

It seemed clear that the assailant was not using a weapon.

Excuse me, but ... That has to be one of the stupidest thinks I've ever read. I warrant that if it were your wife or daughter or mother, you'd have an entirely different perspective. A rape is as bad as a murder, in some ways worse.

The only thing about this story that I don't like is that she didn't mortally would the SOB. He got away and he'll do it to somebody else another day.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You view the rapist as the victim

You’re a POS by every standard

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 01:57 AM
link   

WTactualF??

It was a male, attempting to assault a female, who was probably smaller, weaker than her assailant. It doesn't (((bleeping))) matter if her life was in danger or not. She was defending herself, that's all the justification she needed.

Wasn't using a weapon??

So, the fact that he was probably larger, stronger doesn't matter??

You're actually trying to make her the villain of this piece??

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

You're right.

This was, clearly, an example of the first.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Very true, a gun is only a tool. It does nothing by itself. For better, or for worse, it's the person behind the trigger.

It's probably very lucky that she had a tool of some sort, isn't it?

Generally speaking, a woman will come off second best in a physical confrontation with a male. So an equalizer is always a good idea. Doesn't matter what sort, gun, knife, asp, bear spray. Anything that helps equal the odds.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

WTactualF??

It was a male, attempting to assault a female, who was probably smaller, weaker than her assailant. It doesn't (((bleeping))) matter if her life was in danger or not. She was defending herself, that's all the justification she needed.

Wasn't using a weapon??

You missed this "gem"...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparently, in this poster's twisted 'mind',...rape doesn't even warrant self defense! Women should just allow themselves to be raped and then just go on with their day, I guess.

I honestly don't think I've ever read anything here on ATS more retarded, ill-informed and just downright WRONG in my life!

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 05:34 AM
link   

edit on 14-10-2021 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak

You view the rapist as the victim

You’re a POS by every standard

No, I don't think the rapist is a victim.

However, you invent things about what you think other people must believe, just so you can justify your hatred.

“You have heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’ But I say, if you hate someone, you are subject to judgment!". Jesus, quoted from Matthew 5:21-22a.

You aren't a victim either.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

WTactualF??

Wasn't using a weapon??

You missed this "gem"...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparently, in this poster's twisted 'mind',...rape doesn't even warrant self defense! Women should just allow themselves to be raped and then just go on with their day, I guess.

I honestly don't think I've ever read anything here on ATS more retarded, ill-informed and just downright WRONG in my life!

That is unfair. I never said that rape doesn't warrant self defense at all.

I think people should be able to defend themselves from attackers, and I think rape is a serious crime.

I also think that people should be able to defend themselves against those who, like you have just done, falsely accuse them.

You are the attacker here.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 02:20 PM
link   

WTactualF??

Wasn't using a weapon??

I am not trying to make her the villain of the piece. Not at all. I was just pointing out that the title of "another life saved" is not necessarily true.

I am not pro-gun, and so I treat the occasional propaganda piece where they latch on to the few times where a gun is usefully used as a defensive tool, as something that is rare. Most gun deaths in the USA are suicides, accidents or crimes. That's just the facts of the matter.

On the whole, guns are bad for American citizens.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Guns would save a lot more lives if police would use them in Chicago to shoot the hardcore gangbangers who are responsible for hundreds of murders every year.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I'm just pointing out that it doesn't look likely, in this case, that the woman's life was in danger.

Generally speaking, that's not the metric needed for use of deadly force for self protection, so your opinion is irrelevant, no matter what you think was likely or not.

But on average, it's no real reason to suggest that guns are lifesaving overall.

On average, guns are used defensively millions of times per year in the United States--that outweighs your note about 100s of lives being taken. So, unless you don't understand the meaning of the word "average," you are just blatantly lying and have no intellectual honesty.

You should probably just worry about New Zealand, because you're obviously incapable of doing meaningful research on other countries.

I'll spoonfeed you on the self-defense laws of South Carolina, since you show no will to teach yourself:

Source

The Elements of Self-defense in South Carolina

There are four elements of self-defense in South Carolina. If you raise the defense of self-defense and the prosecution can’t disprove one or more of these elements beyond a reasonable doubt, jurors must acquit you at trial. They are as follows:
    1. You were “without fault in bringing on the difficulty” – you cannot instigate or attack another person and then claim self-defense;

2. You were, or you believed that you were, “in imminent danger of losing [your] life or sustaining serious bodily injury;”

3. “[A] reasonably prudent man of ordinary firmness and courage” would have believed they were in imminent danger if they were in your place – your belief that you were in danger must be objectively reasonable; and

4. There was “no other probable means of avoiding the danger” – before South Carolina’s stand your ground law was passed, there was a duty to retreat unless you were in your own home.

In every case where it applies, South Carolina’s stand your ground law replaces self-defense law in South Carolina. The most important distinction between stand your ground laws and the “old” elements of self-defense law in South Carolina is that element #4, “no other probable means of avoiding the danger,” no longer applies.

There is no longer a “duty to retreat” in South Carolina if you are attacked in a place where you have a legal right to be, whether that is your home, your business, the sidewalk, or the corner grocery.

Do better and try harder. Willful ignorance is not an acceptable excuse for vomiting dribble onto the pages of ATS.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:19 PM
link   
On the whole, guns are good for American citizens

That’s not debated or contended

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 06:34 PM
link   

False

Guns are a tool, an inanimate object.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I'm just pointing out that it doesn't look likely, in this case, that the woman's life was in danger.

Generally speaking, that's not the metric needed for use of deadly force for self protection, so your opinion is irrelevant, no matter what you think was likely or not.

But on average, it's no real reason to suggest that guns are lifesaving overall.

On average, guns are used defensively millions of times per year in the United States--that outweighs your note about 100s of lives being taken. So, unless you don't understand the meaning of the word "average," you are just blatantly lying and have no intellectual honesty.

You should probably just worry about New Zealand, because you're obviously incapable of doing meaningful research on other countries.

I'll spoonfeed you on the self-defense laws of South Carolina, since you show no will to teach yourself:

Source

The Elements of Self-defense in South Carolina

There are four elements of self-defense in South Carolina. If you raise the defense of self-defense and the prosecution can’t disprove one or more of these elements beyond a reasonable doubt, jurors must acquit you at trial. They are as follows:
    1. You were “without fault in bringing on the difficulty” – you cannot instigate or attack another person and then claim self-defense;

2. You were, or you believed that you were, “in imminent danger of losing [your] life or sustaining serious bodily injury;”

3. “[A] reasonably prudent man of ordinary firmness and courage” would have believed they were in imminent danger if they were in your place – your belief that you were in danger must be objectively reasonable; and

4. There was “no other probable means of avoiding the danger” – before South Carolina’s stand your ground law was passed, there was a duty to retreat unless you were in your own home.

In every case where it applies, South Carolina’s stand your ground law replaces self-defense law in South Carolina. The most important distinction between stand your ground laws and the “old” elements of self-defense law in South Carolina is that element #4, “no other probable means of avoiding the danger,” no longer applies.

There is no longer a “duty to retreat” in South Carolina if you are attacked in a place where you have a legal right to be, whether that is your home, your business, the sidewalk, or the corner grocery.

Do better and try harder. Willful ignorance is not an acceptable excuse for vomiting dribble onto the pages of ATS.

So, someone intending murder in S Carolina can invite their victim into their home, ensuring that nobody else sees the invite, and when the person is inside the door, they can dispatch their victim unexpectedly, and then claim self defense. And because it's all about 'defense with firearms' at the top of everyone's consciousness, a murderer goes free?

You see, you can't make those sorts of assumptions when it comes to criminals and criminality. You have to be suspicious of everyone who seems to have motive or intent to harm, or causes actual harm.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

False

Guns are a tool, an inanimate object.

So are knives, explosives, poisons, solid lengths of pipe, and heavy bits of masonry. Their inanimate nature, however, has nothing to do with their intentional use by some to cause harm to people.

All those other objects have great utility in things that don't bring harm to people, but guns are particularly intended for harming people, and have little utility outside of that. Guns are even advertised on their 'stopping power' (which is a euphemism for their deadliness, because their use as braking mechanisms is clearly out of the question).

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Sounds like a person problem and not a gun problem.

I wonder what the bullet:death ratio is......

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join