It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism won Euro 2020: Italian football team has too many damn Italians, The Economist argues.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: HawkEyi

I agree , they should be stripped of the Euro 2020 cup !

For what?

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

For what?

For being too Italian.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I hear what you're saying but your name is an English sounding one, I assume?? Which means you would fit in more to the English team...

Now if your name was Petr Cech but you were born in England and wanted to play for England... it would just look wrong on paper, if you know what I mean.

posted on Jul, 17 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

I have a very Irish sounding name....well my surname is Irish.

Some of the Black people who represent England - and the UK - have very English sounding names.
Some have names that at first glance seem unpronounceable.
It means nothing, if they are English they are English.

I've seen many a white person with as English name as you can get represent England and play with no pride at all.
That can not be said for any of those players who represented England in the recent Euro's.

If you're good enough you should get selected regardless of race or creed etc.

It really isn't hard to understand.

edit on 17/7/21 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 03:56 AM
link   

No... I wasn't saying anything like there are too many black people in the England squad, don't know where you got that from. I think wires have been crossed!

It's not the colour I'm referring to, just the names, otherwise one day, may aswell not have an England team but have a United Kingdom Team or a European Team or a Global World Team.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:17 AM
link   

What do you expect from an English rag apart from negativity about the winning team?

Just to clarify a point, the reason Scotland support anyone but England, is we are fed up of hearing about 1966, which happened 11 years before I was even born, yet Englishmen younger than me harp on about it. I think every team in the world makes it their job not to allow a repeat of that.

As a result, we get stories like this when they get butrhurt at losing.

21st Century Journalism, a career bullet I'm glad to have avoided...

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

is we are fed up of hearing about 1966, which happened 11 years before I was even born.

That would be the same as us Englishmen who are fed up of hearing about William Bloody Wallace, who died over 600 years before i was born.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

I have a very Irish sounding name....well my surname is Irish.

Some of the Black people who represent England - and the UK - have very English sounding names.
Some have names that at first glance seem unpronounceable.
It means nothing, if they are English they are English.

I've seen many a white person with as English name as you can get represent England and play with no pride at all.
That can not be said for any of those players who represented England in the recent Euro's.

If you're good enough you should get selected regardless of race or creed etc.

It really isn't hard to understand.

Some of the English of Irish decent Irish folk like Grealish, Kane, Mcgire and more they the most passionate English players on the pitch. Evey generation we'd be a poorer outfit without them, not even half the team

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 05:41 AM
link   

The OP theory from the papers is pretty much gigh in the sky. Italians is the most free flow of peoples possibly in the Mediterrannean world decended everything from Vikings in south with Greeks, Hebrews, Alpine zones all peoples of Rome from India Egypt to the Britios Isles. Whatwever the result it makes good footie men

It all comes down to the simole fact that Italians for whateer reason whatsoever are brilliant at football. Even in tyhe rest of thebn wopld Italians make up teams.Messi etc Italians. Well they're just good at the bgame maybe the Economists need to concvewntrate on stock and share prices

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   

What do you expect from an English rag apart from negativity about the winning team?

An obscure publication aimed at a specific readership with no connection with ordinary, everyday English people.

And the section of the article quoted in RT gave no context.

Just to clarify a point, the reason Scotland support anyone but England, is we are fed up of hearing about 1966,....

So are we.
We sincerely wish we had won something else since then....but we haven't.
And the vast majority of it is MSM driven - as well you know - which people tend to twist and manipulate to suit whichever perspective and narrative they chose to already have.
They tend to use it to justify their pre-existing bias whichever side of the fence they are on.

So, do you honestly think that is why knobheads like Rory McIlroy and Andy Murray adhere to the 'Anyone but England' mantra despite receiving huge amounts of funding, support and acclaim from English supporters and businesses?

Was the hype and hysteria surrounding their respective successes any different really? - Apart from the level of support they received from English people?

....which happened 11 years before I was even born, yet Englishmen younger than me harp on about it.

Brazilians 'harp on' about the 5 World Cups they have won - and rightly so - and the few I have met were quite passionate and vocal in their belief that they will win more.
Same as every German football fan I have ever talked to - significantly more than the Brazilians I have spoke to.
The French tend to be very vocal in their belief that they will win every tournament they qualify for.

English passion for success and hope's of replicating past glories is far from unique.
What is unique is the bitterness and spite directed towards the English.

Personally I find it funny.
It is hypocrisy and double standards....but very funny nonetheless.
Especially when those self same people get wound up and all pissy whenever someone has a pop back at them.

I think every team in the world makes it their job not to allow a repeat of that.

We know.

As a result, we get stories like this when they get butrhurt at losing.

Come on, look at some of the ridiculous stories that come out of the Scottish press and EU countries media - who viewed it as some sort EU victory and revenge for Brexit.

Sure, people were disappointed - they should be - but hardly 'butthurt'.

Its a nothing story that deserves to be ridiculed but hardly held up as if it were typical of English reactions and opinions.

21st Century Journalism, a career bullet I'm glad to have avoided...

I think many people enter into journalism well intentioned....but it eats away at their soul and corrupts.
Very few achieve success with their integrity and honour intact.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The same article by RT accused the English of being racist.

The only video I have watched so far of any trouble after the match was in Piccadilly Circus where a person draped in an Italian flag clearly assaults a black English fan.

Racist English bastards!

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

No... I wasn't saying anything like there are too many black people in the England squad, don't know where you got that from. I think wires have been crossed!

It's not the colour I'm referring to, just the names, otherwise one day, may aswell not have an England team but have a United Kingdom Team or a European Team or a Global World Team.

I guess as an American where everyone and their brother moves here and lives with their names from wherever and asking where are you from originally used to not be anything offensive, just curiosity, seeing an odd name is no biggie and not weird for the national team in the slightest.

posted on Jul, 18 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Oh no. All the teams were from European countries too. None from South America or Asia. Shamefully racist.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

is we are fed up of hearing about 1966, which happened 11 years before I was even born.

That would be the same as us Englishmen who are fed up of hearing about William Bloody Wallace, who died over 600 years before i was born.

Yeah the difference is not every Scotsman harps on about that, it's not a fair comparison!

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Yes the MSM does drive the "remember '66" mentality, I get that.

And yes, this is why Andy Murray and Co opt for "Anyone than England".

For me this only applies to rugby and only during a match. Many times I've been in pubs on both sides of the border, kilted up, watching Scotland play England and EVERY DAMN TIME, I've wound up partying with English fans for the rest of the night, because it's all just banter.

With football it's a it more serious.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Yes the MSM does drive the "remember '66" mentality, I get that.

Yet your ire appears directed towards English people in general?

And yes, this is why Andy Murray and Co opt for "Anyone than England".

Which is why for years I have been 'Anyone but Andy Murray' and 'Anyone but Rory McIlroy' - NOT 'Anyone but Scotland'....well I guess I am but I certainly don't broadcast it like they have done and I'm hardly to be compared to those two sporting giants who lots and lots of people, particularly children, look up to and are influenced by.
Those two in particular have had enormous support and assistance from English people, businesses and organisations throughout their respective careers.

For me they are two of the biggest knobheads in the sporting world - and that includes the absolute mountain of knobheads and arseholes in football of all nationalities.

For me this only applies to rugby and only during a match.

When it comes to England v Scotland it could be tiddly winks and there will still be the desire to defeat the other side.
And that is exactly as it should be.

And I have no real problem with Scots wanting England to get beat - apart from maybe against Argentina but we won't go into that - because most of the time I want Scotland to get beat whoever they play against.
(For some unknown reason I found myself cheering Scotland on in the last Euro's....I daren't tell my Scottish friends, and I have quite a few, as they will rip the piss out of me no end)

But that is more driven by the desire to take the piss out of my Scottish friends who in turn delight in taking the piss out of me at every, single opportunity - that is just having a bit of craic and long may it continue.

What I don't like is the hypocrisy and double standards that are applied to English people.
Scottish fans being proud and revelling in their 'Scottishness' is seen as national pride and is both lauded and commended.
Public drinking and partying is seen as exuberance and comical.

English people behave in exactly the same manner it is deemed arrogance, loutish and even racist.

It is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Many times I've been in pubs on both sides of the border, kilted up, watching Scotland play England and EVERY DAMN TIME, I've wound up partying with English fans for the rest of the night, because it's all just banter.

I've had some great times with Scottish fans and a damn sight more with Scottish people in general.
Banter is good.
Craic is good.
Hypocrisy is not good.

With football it's a it more serious.

There has always been a bit of a hooligan element involved in football - that goes back far longer than many know, I was once going to start a thread on the history of football hooliganism but I thought many would misunderstand it.....and I'm terrible at starting threads.
Which, sorry to sound like a moaning whinge bag, but nearly always was blamed on the bastard English.

I remember going to one game against Scotland and upon arrival in Glasgow we walked straight into a fight between some Scottish and English fans.
About 50 or so Hibs fans had set upon about 20 Boro lads who were waiting to meet up with us.
The obvious happened and chaos ensued.
5 English lads got quite badly slashed, a mate of mine had an iron bar put over his head and spent two weeks in hospital.
Another was half-blinded when he was hit with what the Scottish police laughingly assumed was a good old fashioned knuckle duster and I seem to recall a few other hospitalisations for various injuries other than the usual run of the mill black eyes etc.

Headlines: English hooligans cause mayhem.

This wasn't a unique occurrence.

Don't get me wrong, there were many, many English fans who started trouble at England games or matches involving English teams.

My point is, eventually, that whenever violence occurred at or surrounding England games only the English fans ever got/get the blame.
Other fans get a free pass.
Just another example of the double standards that are applied to the English.

Sorry for waffling on and going off on a bit of a tangent.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: alldaylong

Yeah the difference is not every Scotsman harps on about that, it's not a fair comparison!

Do you think " Every Englishman " follows and supports football ?

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar
Haha, now we laugh but it's only a matter of time until the first request. It's only that it's on country level so that prevails the special kind of stupid who would argue for inclusion.

Just wait until competition is deemed racist too, that would be right up the alley for dumbing everyone down to the same level. See the thread about of Cuba treats all equal.

Sinsiter stuff.

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777

I guess as an American where everyone and their brother moves here and lives with their names from wherever and asking where are you from originally used to not be anything offensive, just curiosity, seeing an odd name is no biggie and not weird for the national team in the slightest.

So, its a bit like me watching Arsenal FC play only to find out at kick off every player is French? Or Wolves where every player is Portuguese? Man City where every player bar 2 or 3 are Spanish?

posted on Jul, 19 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The article is funny. Considering Italy hadn't won the EURO in quite some time most Italians would have been fine of the team were solely comprised of Martians so long as Gli Azzurri won the cup.

They're rooting for the laundry.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join