It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harris slammed for ‘long weekend’ tweet that doesn’t mention Memorial Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Vice President Kamala Harris is being criticized for a tweet telling people to enjoy their weekend without mentioning Memorial Day.

“Enjoy the long weekend,” Harris tweeted Saturday, along with a picture of herself.

Memorial Day, which is observed on the last Monday in May, is a holiday that commemorates all those who enlisted and lost their lives to defend the country, and some people were quick to remind Harris of that.

“And pay tribute to the courageous men and women of our nation’s military who sacrificed their lives in defense of our freedoms and liberties,” Republican Rep. Lee Zeldin tweeted in response.

Enjoy the long weekend

As a veteran, I have seen our country slowly forgetting the purpose and meaning of this "unofficial start of summer" holiday. It shouldn't be surprising, really. In some small ways, it is a good thing. It means that our veterans, both alive and dead, have done a magnificent job of keeping the reason we have a Memorial Day far from the minds of our fellow citizens by keeping war far from the shores of our great land. This is the silver lining to this, very large, storm cloud.

You see, it's true some people enlist to get a paycheck, or to get some college money, or to keep a roof over their head and food in their bellies. But many more people enlist for love of country, sense of duty and a willingness to serve their fellow citizens. Many of these people in the second category do so because they've been shown time and again that their fellow citizens appreciate their service, their sacrifice (not just the ulitmate sacrifice of their lives, but the hardships and travails they go through in protecting their fellow citizens from "all enemies, foreign and domestic" is recognized and appreciated by their countrymen.

As the saying goes, these volunteers have "Written a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life." and it is fitting and proper that we honor them for their service that can lead them to give "their last full measure of devotion".

When the President and Vice President do not lead by example when it comes to such honorings of the veterans, they risk losing the faith given to them by the soldiers in their oath, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I'm not saying the soldiers will stop doing what they are doing, I'm saying people will stop volunteering to be soldiers in the first place. Why would I volunteer to serve in a capacity that could cost me my life, if I don't think those that are giving the orders care whether it does cost me my life?

When our politicians reduce a holiday's meaning to merely a "long weekend" with no mention of why it is a holiday in the first place, they betray the faith of those soldiers who serve, both past and present.

+11 more 
posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Harris is just thinking about gobbling wieners.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   
SHOCKING!

A woman with no personal or familial affiliation with US armed forces with a complete lack of understanding what the "long weekend" means.

To people like her, the US military is just an abstraction, a nameless, faceless, horde of untouchables.

Disgusting really. I think back to the stories my grandfather begrudgingly told us of the Pacific campaign during WW2, and I am relieved he doesn't have to feel the despair of seeing the sacrifices he and his brethren made so a clueless racial agitator can occupy the second highest executive office in the land, with absolutely no consideration, comprehension or compassion for the prices paid by our fore bearers to keep this country free.

I hope against hope that Biden has the stamina to hold up for his full term.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Maybe, just maybe, she's waiting for memorial day to make a memorial day tweet?

+4 more 
posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

I think she certainly will now, after the optics of this have gotten out. I expect full damage control by the end of the "long weekend".

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad

But many more people enlist for love of country, sense of duty and a willingness to serve their fellow citizens. Many of these people in the second category do so because they've been shown time and again that their fellow citizens appreciate their service, their sacrifice (not just the ulitmate sacrifice of their lives, but the hardships and travails they go through in protecting their fellow citizens from "all enemies, foreign and domestic" is recognized and appreciated by their countrymen.

As the saying goes, these volunteers have "Written a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life." and it is fitting and proper that we honor them for their service that can lead them to give "their last full measure of devotion".

We all know Kamala Harris is allllll about.....Kamala Harris. The woman is a scab on humanity.

But let us all be thankful for those who have, do and will continue to sacrifice for love of countrymen and country. Many times, unless you're a veteran or have an immediate relationship to one, you're far removed, if at all touched, by the trials and tribulations owned by veterans.

Thank you to all veterans for your sacrifice, your courage, and your commitment to all of us. May God bless you and people remember and be thankful.

edit on 30-5-2021 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Harris is known for getting slammed by long things over the weekend.
Just ask Willie Brown.

+1 more 
posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

just as she is waiting for all the illegals to finish crossing the Rio Grande before she visits the border?

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Impeach the raycist nymph!

[Shaking fist with beer in hand]

edit on 30-5-2021 by Randyvine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Give our V.P. a break.

Her dad was from Barbados. Mom from India.

Kamala Devi Harris hasn't been taught about American holidays.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why are top government employees not working hard to keep the country running....LMAO, I almost said that with a straight face.

I think we should send her notes on the Fourth to reminder her that it wasn’t about winning the Revolution but about having the guns to be able to fight the Revolution in the first place just to see if we can hear her blink from here.
edit on 30-5-2021 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I don't know why people expected that communist, anti-American twit to say anything good about the country we patriots love. F that b.
edit on 30-5-2021 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Y'all might want to go to Fox to find out how many days it's been since she's visited the border too. LOL!

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Would seem our campaign debates need questions like "What are the national holidays, and what are their meanings"? "Hee hee why it's so we can have a long weekend!" is the wrong answer.

Years ago I was at a small retailer, and when writing the check casually mentioned the date, June 6th.

The elderly gentleman at the counter replied "D Day".

That hit me like a lightning bolt. I couldn't bring myself to ask if he was there, but the way he said it conveyed that either he was, or at least he wanted to make sure this kid understood. I haven't overlooked it or a national day of remembrance since.
edit on 30-5-2021 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

Yeah, that's why she deleted it instead of tell her critics that she was waiting until Memorial Day to tweet about it. Your deflection comes as no surprise.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   

As a vet, this is just my personal opinion. . . . .

She and all the rest of the politicians can keep their god-damned mouths shut since any words towards those that have died protecting our nation would be flat, false, and so full of sh#t that there'd be last weeks corn in it.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Both Harris and Biden have insulted our military heroes more than once.

1. Biden - Soldiers are "stupid bastards"

2. Kamala - Bad joke about Marines this year.

3. Biden - Coast Guard "Dull Bunch".

4. Kamala - Memorial Day is all about "FUN".

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
From a Veteran i Salute all Veterans
Thank you for your service and enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend.
God Bless America.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As a political office slut...sleeping her way up the ladder into power, Harris was used to having men behind her standing at attention....usually as she was bent over her boss' desk.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

We were at a martial arts tournament in St. Louis last weekend. As we were packing to leave on Sunday, a group of bikers (vets obviously) was also getting ready to roll out of our hotel. They had their small American flag up on the back of one bike and a radio/stereo turned up playing the national anthem. They were all standing in ranks saluting the flag. We, of course, got to our car as quickly as we could to put our stuff down and stand properly at attention with our hands over our hearts.

It was sad that one of the vets felt he needed to come over and shake our hands and thank us for that, especially our son. He said not many would do that anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join