It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GRAPHENE mega thread - because it's technology you need to know about!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Thermo Klein

I see some weaponry material in that conductive paint...like you said, nefarious things.

Also sounds pretty useful! Seems like this could be a breakthrough material.

On the other hand, this could be used to create invincible soldiers who serve an unfair government, sent in to gather people into F.E.M.A camps at some point.

With such power hopefully comes responsibility.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue2K4

Hi Blue!

I found this thread seriously neglected. As discoveries were being announced almost every other day, I resurrected it. I've been trying to keep this topic going because it is "technology you need to know about"!!

OP (original post or poster) has not been active on ATS for a number of years.

This has been a "breakthrough" material since it was discovered! And all these years later, we are still waiting for that breakthrough product to arrive.

Thanks for the interest! Nice to know some people are still interested. I'll keep updating when I can.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Scientists have found a way to make carbon both very hard and very stretchy by heating it under high pressure. This "compressed glassy carbon", developed by researchers in China and the US, is also lightweight and could potentially be made in very large quantities. This means it might be a good fit for several sorts of applications, from bulletproof vests to new kinds of electronic devices.

...When the researchers squeezed several sheets of graphene together at high temperatures, they found certain carbon atoms were exactly in the right position to form spĀ³ bonds between the layers.

phys.org, June 26, 2017 - New form of carbon discovered that is harder than diamond but flexible as rubber.

They haven't even got graphene production done and they made something even better. SP-2 is carbon in the form of graphite/graphene while the SP-3 is the cubic form or diamond. They stacked layers of graphene on top of each other and forced the sheets to bond like diamond in places. Since graphene is stretchy and diamond is hard they got both types in one product! "Compressed glassy carbon"?? Needs a better name! Like "flubber"! How about, "flex-o-glass"?

Light weight bullet proof vests would be a great use!

new topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join