It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a national poll to find out what Black people need in order to vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Apparently Black people are very different than white people. Not just in the amount of melanin in their skin, but in their ability to get places, prove who they are, and maneuver around in this world we have built. I'm a white guy, have been all my life, so I honestly don't see it. I don't understand what differences exist that would prohibit a black man from doing the same things a white man could with regard to getting to a place at a certain time, and proving who you are.

I know there are a couple "Black" folks here on ATS that have mastered "the internet" (congratulations on such a task) perhaps we could all learn and understand what we are missing. If we could understand better what those challenges are, we could repair them.

I heard James Clyburn say something that made good sense.

America is "not about being perfect, but when you see a fault repair it," Clyburn told Fox News' Neil Cavuto on Saturday.

www.foxnews.com...

So in order to repair the faults, we need to know what they are. Explain what those things are, and we can and will fix them.

+6 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
They have already figured it out.

Just let the Party ballot harvest.

That way they don’t have to do a thing.

Let the party criminals work their magic.

Now clear out, I think a pipe just broke.

+6 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
I know it is NOT your intent, but be aware that someone will be along to tell you how patronizing and racist your OP is.

I don't remember black folks having any problems accomplishing these things when I was a young man living in the big city. What happened? Also, I'm not hearing any black folks I know at present complaining. Is this isolated to certain parts of the country maybe?

edit on 5/2/2021 by Klassified because: DB's cat jumped on my keyboard

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
They could just extend the voting to two days in this country instead of one for major elections. It is hard for a lot of people to get to vote. I have no problem with people getting ballots mailed to them if they go in and show ID and apply for it ahead of time...everyone should have ID to vote, but that could be done when signing up for abscentee ballots....that will make sure that there is less fraud in voting, the mail in voting has way too much potential for fraud.

Also, they could put those drop off boxes so people everywhere could get them. Of course, cameras should be mounted to show how many people dropped off ballots to make sure that multiple ballots are not dropped off by one person...two ballots, no problem, even maybe three. But if the same face pops up dropping off ballots five times a day...something is wrong. No masks allowed.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why is it ALWAYS a comparison between whites and blacks?

We need to first figure out why these two groups think they're the only things that matter to each other. It's like no one else exists, just them.

🤷🏾‍♂️

Get over it already! Oh wait, we already did but now we're back to square one all the sudden..🙄

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Why do we need a national poll to figure out what minority groups need to vote? The "why" voter IDs are discriminatory is almost irrelevant ...

Minorities may be less intelligent or maybe there are systemic issues that prevent them from getting ideas at the same rate as whites. But it doesn't mater "why" all that matters is that it "is" true that minorities obtain IDs less frequently than whites; and because this is a FACT than by extension voter ID laws impact minorities more so than whites.

link

Minority voters disproportionately lack ID. Nationally, up to 25% of African-American citizens of voting age lack government-issued photo ID, compared to only 8% of whites.

There is no way to argue against this fact; its real, it happens. You may not like it; you may think its a coppout; but until you (or your representatives) figure out how to close this gap voter ID laws will impact minorities more than whites; and as long as that is ture than voter ID laws are discriminatory.

Now to be clear pointing out the fact that such laws have a discriminatory impact on the country does NOT by extension mean those trying to implement these laws are bigots. There are many legitimate reasons to have such laws that have nothing to do with race. But if the side affects of such laws lead to disenfranchisement of minority groups at a much larger number than whites than the laws are discriminatory.

So on one hand you have a law that is discriminatory and on the other hand with out the law you have the potential for voter fraud....

... so the real question that people should be asking them selves is which is more important.

1) being less discriminatory as a country.

2) weeding out voter fraud.

Based on the above stated facts these two choices are "currently" mutually exclusive. So which is more important?

For me I go to the precedent set by our founding laws. In almost all cases freedom has been put on a much larger pedestal than punishment. In our criminal justice system it is much preferred to set an innocent man free than to punish a guilty man. So in turn it is better to allow the most number of people to vote than it is to weed out the few that take advantage of the system.

Conservatives are clearly at a disadvantage currently playing by these rules. They control much larger territories with a population spread out amongst then. In contrast Liberals control small densely populate areas. Mathematically a smaller group of fraudulent liberals can have a much larger impact on national polls. Fraudulent conservatives would need a much larger network to produce the same results.

But being at a disadvantage is no reason to through our ideals out the window. No one said life was fair; as our conservative side is found of reminding us. Conservatives should seek to pull more minorities to their causes ... something that should be easier to do than is currently accepted. Many minority groups do not hold liberal mindsets; and in fact when you get down to core beliefs they can often be quite conservative. So where is the disconnect? Figure that out and liberals will be left to wonder the desert.

edit on 2-5-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They could just extend the voting to two days in this country instead of one for major elections. It is hard for a lot of people to get to vote. I have no problem with people getting ballots mailed to them if they go in and show ID and apply for it ahead of time...everyone should have ID to vote, but that could be done when signing up for abscentee ballots....that will make sure that there is less fraud in voting, the mail in voting has way too much potential for fraud.

Also, they could put those drop off boxes so people everywhere could get them. Of course, cameras should be mounted to show how many people dropped off ballots to make sure that multiple ballots are not dropped off by one person...two ballots, no problem, even maybe three. But if the same face pops up dropping off ballots five times a day...something is wrong. No masks allowed.

Why all that?

Citizens have 2 to 4 years to figure out their freaking logistics to show up and be heard!!

Plenty of time to be PROACTIVE. This is just more pandering as usual.

+3 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Why is it ALWAYS a comparison between whites and blacks?

Simple. Whites make up around 60% of the U.S. population. Latinos, Arabics, asians, indigenous can sit on the bench while the media/big tech/the one percent demonize and demoralize the 60% and pit the folks who were enslaved 170 years ago against them.

What better way to divide a society?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Apparently Black people are very different than white people. Not just in the amount of melanin in their skin, but in their ability to get places, prove who they are, and maneuver around in this world we have built. I'm a white guy, have been all my life, so I honestly don't see it. I don't understand what differences exist that would prohibit a black man from doing the same things a white man could with regard to getting to a place at a certain time, and proving who you are.

I know there are a couple "Black" folks here on ATS that have mastered "the internet" (congratulations on such a task) perhaps we could all learn and understand what we are missing. If we could understand better what those challenges are, we could repair them.

America is "not about being perfect, but when you see a fault repair it," Clyburn told Fox News' Neil Cavuto on Saturday.

www.foxnews.com...

So in order to repair the faults, we need to know what they are. Explain what those things are, and we can and will fix them.

Wow... I can't believe you wrote this, and thought it was okay to post publicly. The language used in here, and the perspective is very.. disheartening.

For the purpose of remaining cordial I'll assume you have no I'll intent with your words and answer your questions.

1. Black people are not different from white people, outside of culture, systemic obstacles, and historical impediments that have set a tone for them today.

2. The real answer to your real question is poverty. It all comes down to that. Due to hundreds of years of slavery, an entire race if people was held back from personal achievement.

An entire race if people was stripped of their culture, customs, education etc.

Then after they were "freed" for another very long stretch in time they were still treated in our society as sub-human, which continually held them back all the way up until the civil rights movement.

In 1964 (not that long ago) there were alot of people in this country in opposition to civil rights. Those people continued to live in this country and held positions of power and influence, and they continued to effect and impact black lives for decades.. be it as judges, politicians, police, bank owners, doctors etc.

How does this swing back to voter ID laws?

All of these things listed above, statistically behave made it more likely for black Americans to be born into and live in poverty.

When living in poverty, access to easy conforming transportation is more difficult. You have to work more hours to survive and get less free time to run errands. You may have never gotten your birth certificate, or may not now where it is. You dont get a driver's license because there's no need since you can't buy a car. State IDs cost money, and you need to find a copy or get transportation to the courthouse to get your birth certificate.. which also costs money. Social security cards, also require transportation and money. This also.. is only even known to you if you have a household where your parents and family vote and/or have IDs, and care to pass that knowledge on, which really they're too busy due to working 18 hour days and don't have time to parent.

And all this is just a tiny sliver of why.. I could go on for hours. Voting is a right, not a privaledge and therefire the act of voting should be completely free front any and every angle to citizens.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Keep trusting Democrats and watch your whole world tumble just like it is now 😃

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

2. The real answer to your real question is poverty. It all comes down to that. Due to hundreds of years of slavery, an entire race if people was held back from personal achievement.

That is an extremely over simplistic view of the issue; a charrecture of reality.

The "entire" race of people where not subject to American slavery.

Many different groups of people over the history of this country have been visited by poverty. Most find a way to clime out of it. Including the new group of ingredients from south and central America. On the current trigectiry with in a few decades they will take their equal place amongst all the other groups who have immigrated to this country since its colonization. But the black community does not seem to be on that same trigectiry. Why?
edit on 2-5-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I know it is NOT your intent, but be aware that someone will be along to tell you how patronizing and racist your OP is.

I don't remember black folks having any problems accomplishing these things when I was a young man living in the big city. What happened? Also, I'm not hearing any black folks I know at present complaining. Is this isolated to certain parts of the country maybe?

I intentionally wrote it like that, because that is exactly how I see the left framing it.
I am fully aware that all of us have the same ability, and options when it comes to the simple things, like voting.
It's time for the Black people to say something. I'd be pissed off, hell, I'm mad for them. tell the left to fluck off.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I intentionally wrote it like that, because that is exactly how I see the left framing it.
I am fully aware that all of us have the same ability, and options when it comes to the simple things, like voting.
It's time for the Black people to say something. I'd be pissed off, hell, I'm mad for them. tell the left to fluck off.

Okay. So what are the black folks here on the forum saying?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

Wow... I can't believe you wrote this, and thought it was okay to post publicly. The language used in here, and the perspective is very.. disheartening.

For the purpose of remaining cordial I'll assume you have no I'll intent with your words and answer your questions.

1. Black people are not different from white people, outside of culture, systemic obstacles, and historical impediments that have set a tone for them today.

An entire race if people was stripped of their culture, customs, education etc.

Then after they were "freed" for another very long stretch in time they were still treated in our society as sub-human, which continually held them back all the way up until the civil rights movement.

In 1964 (not that long ago) there were alot of people in this country in opposition to civil rights. Those people continued to live in this country and held positions of power and influence, and they continued to effect and impact black lives for decades.. be it as judges, politicians, police, bank owners, doctors etc.

How does this swing back to voter ID laws?

All of these things listed above, statistically behave made it more likely for black Americans to be born into and live in poverty.

When living in poverty, access to easy conforming transportation is more difficult. You have to work more hours to survive and get less free time to run errands. You may have never gotten your birth certificate, or may not now where it is. You dont get a driver's license because there's no need since you can't buy a car. State IDs cost money, and you need to find a copy or get transportation to the courthouse to get your birth certificate.. which also costs money. Social security cards, also require transportation and money. This also.. is only even known to you if you have a household where your parents and family vote and/or have IDs, and care to pass that knowledge on, which really they're too busy due to working 18 hour days and don't have time to parent.

And all this is just a tiny sliver of why.. I could go on for hours. Voting is a right, not a privaledge and therefire the act of voting should be completely free front any and every angle to citizens.
thank you for that reply. I don't believe that any of us are any smarter or dumber as a race than each other. I do believe that a strong effort has been in place to keep black people "enslaved" by giving them housing and money to live off of. Yes white people are on pubic assistance as well, but disproportionately. Early in the 20th century, we started to realize the faults, and racism was brought to the front of the conversation. Rather than work towards what Dr. King envisioned, an insidious group concocted a plan to keep things as they were.

Poor black people were sharecroppers. they were given housing, in exchange for work. They got screwed in the particulars of the deal usually, but they worked and worked hard. Some made it out, some didn't. But all of the sudden, welfare came about. And instead of working in the fields, they were offered housing and money for nothing. I don't fault anyone for taking the less difficult path, but this is what has transpired.

I'd hope that rather than continue to promote a welfare state, that we all work to get people off of the system, and into the real system. The economic system. But before that can happen, I think we all need to understand and accept what's really going on. If folks are happy living in the ghetto, super, but for those who aren't and want more, opportunity's need to be made available to help enact that change. And the fist part of that change is not letting the democratic party convince black people that they are inferior and are unable to function as the rest of society does.

I'm sure this is somehow upsetting to some and will come across as racist, but my intent is anything but that. I know too many good people who could be so much more, if the boot was removed from their neck.

We need mutual respect, and an end to seeing each other as different. We are Humans, we bleed red, and we can love. we are much more similar than we are different.

eta:
and in regard to your answer, if people don't have id, birth certificate, or the things needed to vote, we need to know that, and help them. Acquiring these things isn't hard, but until I know you need help, I can't help you. We need a way to level the playing field. It's time to stop making excuses and start making progress.
edit on 2-5-2021 by network dude because: why can't I shovel my roof. Oh yea, I don't have any SNOW!!!!!

+13 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

The OP was just asking these questions in that manner because that’s the basic argument against voter ID laws from the left. You see it all the time from liberals on ATS, saying black people cant do basic things in life because they’re black. You say poverty and I say BS because I grew up in the same ghetto with drug addict parents. That didn’t stop me from getting an ID and going to vote. Just another excuse, it’s time we stop making excuses and hold everyone on merit and not race like the left seem to do so often.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

actually, I'm not hearing any of this from black people. It's all from politicians. I'm not sure this is real. If it is, it's an easy thing to fix. if it's not, then black people are being used in a very disparaging way.

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

This is a very long list of excuses.

Since the main theme seems to be that they are so busy working they don’t have the time for anything else...

How do they cash their pay check, pay taxes, and gain employment without ID?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

If that's the case, then why do minorities still manage to get all the million other things in this country that you need ID for?

They manage to get those things, so clearly, they are more than capable of getting along when an ID is required. So that isn't the problem.

Perhaps the issue isn't that requiring ID is discriminatory because it prevents minorities from voting because if it openly prevented them from voting, it would logically prevent them from obtaining all those other things they have that likewise require ID. Instead, perhaps the real answer is that they don't care enough about voting?

If that's the case, then no amount of loosening voting restrictions will make a difference except to allow for improper voting (i.e. cheating).

edit on 2-5-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 2 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Whatever did people do back in the day when no one had access to cars and instead relied on horses and sometimes had to travel days for a single election day?

How *did* our pioneer ancestors manage to cast their votes?

posted on May, 2 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

You know, I'm not sure that I've ever heard anybody on this forum actually say that they were black. I presume that there must be black members. But they either don't want to say it or don't think that it's relevant.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join