It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Per NASA Asteroid 101955 Bennu shown as 0.00 distance from earth 9-24-2186

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Mogget

I know wait 100 years and we will land it on earth and mine it

posted on Jan, 21 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
All is explained here: www.space.com...

Bennu is officially classified as a potentially dangerous asteroid. In fact, there's an 0.037 percent (or 1-in-2,700) chance that it will strike Earth in the last quarter of the 22nd century, NASA scientists have calculated.

Specifically, that's the probability that, during an Earthy flyby in 2135, Bennu will hit a special orbit-altering "keyhole" that will send it on a collision course with the planet later in the century.

OSIRIS-REx will help scientists refine those odds, by refining their understanding of Bennu's orbit. (That orbit, by the way, is already the best-known of any asteroid, Lauretta said; thanks to extensive observations since Bennu's 1999 discovery, astronomers have nailed the space rock's orbital radius down to within 20 feet, or 6 m.)

"Our uncertainties will shrink, so that will allow us to recalculate the impact probability," Lauretta said. "We don't know which direction it'll go. It could go down, because we just eliminated a bunch of possible keyholes that Bennu may hit. Or it may go up, because in the area that's left we have a higher concentration of keyholes compared to the overall area of the uncertainty plane."

It's too early to say anything definitely, and we need to wait for future close passes, which will determine the next ones.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

The nature of Bennu is not effected by what kind of site this is Slichter!

Also, realistically, Mark Twain is unlikely to have been the only person to be born on, and die close to the time of the arrival of Haley's Comet. And Hale Bopp didn't do a damned thing to Heaven's Gate or their idiot leader either. HG self terminated in order to comply with their own fantasies. The passage of Hale Bopp was not the cause of their demise. Consumption of phenobarbital, flavoured with apple sauce, followed by a vodka chaser and wrapping their heads in plastic bags to induce asphyxia, was the cause of death for the members of Heaven's Gate. The comet did not land on their compound, lazers were not fired from the ship they believed to be travelling in its wake. They self terminated.

The passage of materials through this solar system only have one ACTUAL effect, and that is if they happen to HIT anything. As for Pioneer 10... I don't know, what do you think? Personally, I think in 1972, the probe would have had a difficult time picking up Bennu, since the on board instruments of the time were less versatile than they are these days, and were designed primarily for examining the asteroid belt as a whole feature of the solar system, rather than individual parts thereof, and for taking pictures of Jupiter, which, you will note, is bloody enormous, and assuming appropriate range and stability of the craft, relatively easy to take pictures of. As it is, I believe that Pioneer 10 only took about 500 images in total, and having looked at its instrumentation, its onboard experiments and such, there is nothing on there that would lend itself to detecting the presence of Bennu. It was programmed and controlled in such a way as to carry out tasks in a specific order, and those were the tasks it completed. From what I understand of its construction and capacity, it could have been within sight of Bennu and missed its existence completely.

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

All true!

And it takes more than simple coincidence to make a place in official history.
Nevertheless for those of us that are a little too creative for our own good there might be evidence to support a UFO tale about Pioneer 10 having a clandestine encounter.

The spacecraft had an initial spin rate of 30 rpm. Twenty minutes following the launch, the vehicle's three booms were extended, which slowed the rotation rate to 4.8 rpm. This rate was maintained throughout the voyage. The launch vehicle accelerated the probe for net interval of 17 minutes, reaching a velocity of 51,682 km/h (32,114 mph).

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

"Self terminated"

I like that one!

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

What evidence would that be?

* strokes beard *

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Bonnie Lou Nettles later known as Ti, was co-leader of the group.
Apparently their "resonant" order would have taken her back to do.
They were into music and elecronics..

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I would look at the history of "prediction" Kirkwood gaps etc.
Lots of secrecy there for conspiracies.
Asteroid Pallas, meteor showers maybe?
The movie "Contact" at Arecibo featured a good example of UFO meteor shower.
edit on 22-1-2019 by Slichter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

* sigh *

Those are not evidence in and of themselves, and themselves REQUIRE evidence to support them, evidence which is lacking.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join