It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Workers Guaranteed Back Pay for Shutdown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: dawnstar

congress DOES NOT WORK FOR THE PRESIDENT!!

AMEN!

I have to point out that they also do not work for Pelosi and Schumer. Congress is a committee... there are 435 House Representatives and 100 Senators. Each is expected to vote in the interests of their constituents. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way as of late: every single Congressman seems to vote for whatever the "party line" (established by the party leaders in the Congress) happens to be that day.

In essence, Pelosi and Schumer have attained power in themselves almost co-equal to the President, which is not how it is supposed to work. That's the heart of what is wrong in Congress, and it also applies to the Republicans. The only reason I mention Pelosi/Schumer by name is that they are all over the news lately. McConnell and whoever is the Minority Leader in the House are also not supposed to have that kind of power in themselves.

I will feel better about the Democrats when they stop voting on every bill as a block, and the same goes for the Republicans.

TheRedneck

'
what's wrong with you, go read your constitution....they are an EQUAL branch of the government, not some "committee"...they hold the purse strings, NOT TRUMP.....

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just an observation:

with 4 weeks of being Absent from the workplace 2 metrics will skew the workforce report card:

Productivity & Hourly Earnings

the 800,000 Fed Workers will get paid for work left undone for 4+ weeks thus skewing the Productivity, efficiency numbers

And they will get paid for 13 months of work while only showing up for 11 1/2 months of actual job presence...
wow, talking about being taken care of on the Plantation !

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

will the military be able to take the land from it's owners without due process? because quite frankly, that is part of the reason why money that has already been appropriated hasn't been spent and why there are fences here and there with large gaps between them. if it is truly a "national emergency" or an "invasion" then the answer is not 5 trillion more dollars for a wall that is gonna end up hung up in the court system for a decade or two!!!
and then, if congress caves on this one, what will be next? what will be the next either I get what I want or else thing be?
maybe the message the dems in congress is sending is more like a "we don't negotiate with terrorists" type of thing!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I think you grossly overestimate how terrible this shutdown is.

maybe you err in thinking that I am estimating how terrible this shutdown currently is and not considering that I might be judging just how stubbornly the parties are set in their positions? considering trump's own words, he seems to not care if this goes on for months or years. so, can your son last even a couple of months without that check? can the mother keep working, paying for their childcare for a few months, should her husband quit his job and stay home and watch the kids so she can go to her at least temporary fruitless job and work? he's not gonna back down!!!
which means, either way you look at this, it's the dems that are gonna win the battle since it will be them that caves and opens the gov't back up. unless of course, the republicans in congress grow a backbone and stand up to trump and tell him to knock his crap off. pass the bills that are coming to the senate that are being passed by the dems, all of which passed with support of the republicans before the new congress came in. which would mean that McConnell backing down and letting them go to a vote knowing that they may very well end up with having trump's veto being over ridden.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

what's wrong with you, go read your constitution....they are an EQUAL branch of the government, not some "committee"...they hold the purse strings, NOT TRUMP.....

You just tried to refute my position by saying the exact same thing I did.

Well, maybe it was the "committee" reference. That's what we call a group of people acting together. Did you think there was an old dude named "Congress" that made all the decisions?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

will the military be able to take the land from it's owners without due process?

I'm actually not sure; I don't think so. The land may be seized under Eminent Domain, but that would require just compensation. I would oppose simply taking the land (and I'm sure the Supreme Court would uphold paying the owners a fair value afterwards in any case).

if it is truly a "national emergency" or an "invasion" then the answer is not 5 trillion more dollars for a wall that is gonna end up hung up in the court system for a decade or two!!!

Firstly, it is $5 billion, not $5 trillion.

Secondly, the ability to take the land is not what is tied up in courts. The price of the land taken is the common cause of contention. The US has the right to take the land under Eminent Domain for needed public use. Why aren't you upset over all those National Parks? They were taken through Eminent Domain too.

and then, if congress caves on this one, what will be next? what will be the next either I get what I want or else thing be?

One would hope the DNC would consider it a spanking and actually negotiate next time. Call me an optimist.

maybe the message the dems in congress is sending is more like a "we don't negotiate with terrorists" type of thing!!!

Did you just call half of the country "terrorists"? Did you just call ME a "terrorist"?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
no, I didn't call half the country terrorists, no I didn't call you a terrorist...
I implied that the president was acting like a terrorist!!!
now, maybe you should go outside in to the cold little snowflake before you melt away.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

maybe you err in thinking that I am estimating how terrible this shutdown currently is and not considering that I might be judging just how stubbornly the parties are set in their positions?

You do have a point there. I really wish this shutdown wasn't necessary.

My son has a nest egg, and he's never had trouble getting a job; he is very talented and good at what he does. He says he can last a few months, but has already started putting out resumes and making calls. I pushed the idea of keeping 6 months savings on hand at all times when he was younger.

which means, either way you look at this, it's the dems that are gonna win the battle since it will be them that caves and opens the gov't back up. unless of course, the republicans in congress grow a backbone and stand up to trump and tell him to knock his crap off.

I don't see what kind of "win" capitulation would be. The Democrats have almost no way to truly "win" at this point. If they keep to their guns and leave the government shut down, who will the people blame? Trump, who has been lambasted since day one and who they apparently already hated, or the guys they just elected that failed to handle him? On the other hand, if the Democrats give in to Trump, they will be seen as weak and impotent.

I happen to think the Republicans have grown a backbone. From my point of view, they have spent the last few decades without one, simply caving in to whatever the Democrats wanted, even if they were in power. I actually am gaining respect for them because they are finally standing up to the Democrats.

I used to think Lindsey Graham was an establishment hack without a spine. Since the Kavanaugh hearing, I am coming to respect him. I don't always agree with him, but at least he has grown a pair.

I'm truly amazed that someone can be so partisan to think that standing up for their beliefs is only considered standing up for their beliefs if those beliefs are aligned with one's own.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

This is good news though and one more thing that those who are affected will need to worry about.

Unless they are a government contractor in which case they won't get paid.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

no, I didn't call half the country terrorists, no I didn't call you a terrorist...
I implied that the president was acting like a terrorist!!!

Has he exploded a bomb somewhere? Has he shot anywhere up?

If you call someone a terrorist, does that not imply that you consider those who fight for him also terrorists?

You do know what "terrorist" means, correct?

now, maybe you should go outside in to the cold little snowflake before you melt away.

No, thanks. I like it warm. Maybe you should come inside and read a dictionary. The yellow snow is not banana-flavored.

Did that make you feel any better, trading insults instead of actually debating?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

most of the land that was seized for the national parks occurred before my time, and quite frankly I had to look it up to find out weather they were still taking land for them. but here is my view on eminent domain...

first, I believe that each case should be looked into separately. that someone who's had land and home passed down to them from generation to generation, who can walk through their land and point out the remains of the first family homestead built by great grandpa, who's family cemetary might happen to be in the path of a wall, or block the owners path to that cemetary should have much more consideration, and quite frankly, be able to refuse the gov't when it comes to land seizure. someone who's used their land to build a business, a golf course in at least one case when it comes to the "wall" that has been build, well should have more consideration. a rancher shouldn't have to call gov't officials for permission to gain access for them and their herd to travel onto their own land every time the need arises.
these cases can't be just handled in bulk, they are individual people with different circumstances that need to be addressed. and it is taking decades for them to be addressed in our court system at the present time.
again, you are talking about people's land, their homes, their livelihoods... they deserve their day in court and a just solution to the problem and sometimes, the gov't might have to accept a no, you can't have it.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
didn't call anyone a terrorist though did I???
said he was acting like one... which happens to be just my personal opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

You know, we have very similar views on Eminent Domain. There's just not much in that post I can disagree with.

It's strange that you brought up a rancher. There are no major cattle ranches along the border. There used to be, but rustlers from Mexico have closed them down. And the landowners didn't even get paid!

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

You said:

which to my thinking is a direct correlation between not negotiating with Trump because he is a terrorist and "we don't negotiate with terrorists!"

I saw quite an implication there. However, perhaps you were just a little loose with your choice of words; I'm willing to accept that, as long as you can understand why I saw what I did. Deal?

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

lol... I call my little kitten a terrorist every morning, she wakes up at the least bit of noise, thinks I need to be up also, and first starts licking my face, then she is nibbling on my face, and well, I get up when I start wondering if she would tear my face off because there are claws digging into my face...
so I get up, and that's it... I might decide to go feed her or I might wait, either way, weather she gets food or not, she is soon laying in the middle of my bed curled up, sleeping... till I try to lay down again.
she's a little terrorist, she isn't happy with sharing the bed with me, she wants the whole bed, it's not even that she is starving... she wants the bed, and that sweet little bundle of cuteness can become a vicious terrorist to get what she wants.

ya, I might be using the word a little loosely.

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wait, who is guaranteeing federal workers their pay? The same person who guaranteed everyone was going to get super-awesome health insurance and that Mexico was going to pay for the wall?

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

ya, I might be using the word a little loosely.

LOL at the terrorist kitten...

That's all fair enough, we're good. See how easy that is?

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join