It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what should Trump do about the shutdown?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Not a damn thing. Wait for either the world to explode, his term to end, or his wall funding to show up. yes, I am aware of the horrible hardships of those who are used to getting government money, but here is the deal. He can't win. If he caves in, he's weak, if he holds firm, he's mean and uncaring. And in the end, those who hate him for being Trump will still hate him, those who don't hate him, may have an opinion, but it will be ignored, as their feelings are already determined by the NPC's that think they know how anyone other than them thinks.

Since he can't win, he might as well, be remembered as the guy who didn't back down, and then the left can be remembered as the side that kept the government shut down over a relatively small amount of money.

For the record, the shutdown hasn't effected me yet. So I have no encumbrances to stop me from having this opinion. That, and I'm sure I'm a "cult45" Trumpanzie, who is a NAZI, hates brown PPL, and can't do simple math.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The shut down is stopping paychecks during the Holidays, for 420,000 people. You sir, should read their stories. One man could not buy a headstone, for his wife who passed. If you have children, its expensive. One man returned his gifts to pay his morgage.

Living paycheck to paycheck is not smart, but allot of people are in situations, they can not help.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: iplay1up2

They have my sympathy, but they should have been more responsible with their finances.

The Govt hasn't even been shut down long enough for anyone to have missed a paycheck.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Like all children he should learn that you can't always get what you want and put the needs of his country above his political desire.
Hard for a Billionaire who isn't used to being told No but it might teach him an important life lesson.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.
Maybe the 2 party circus should learn that their BS won't be tolerated anymore

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Like all children he should learn that you can't always get what you want and put the needs of his country above his political desire.
Hard for a Billionaire who isn't used to being told No but it might teach him an important life lesson.

He is putting the wishes of the half of the public who voted him into the office of POTUS ahead of those who wish to destroy him. When you look at it like that, it kind of sound different huh?

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: iplay1up2

They have my sympathy, but they should have been more responsible with their finances.

The Govt hasn't even been shut down long enough for anyone to have missed a paycheck.

no doubt. I think that is a bit of drama queen material.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Shut the entire federal gov down, with the exception of military, and lay everyone off permanently.
The federal gov was not meant to be what it has become anyway.
And dock all of congress 2 years pay.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

When you look at it like that, it kind of sound different huh?

If it were true then yeah but fewer than half of the population voted for him , more people voted for Clinton.

He's holding your country and the people who work for it to ransom over something that will cost you plenty and deliver little , there are bigger fish to fry than what he is obsessing over.
edit on 28-12-2018 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

oh, I'm sure he'd back down when the last of the secret service agents guarding him walks out the door because, well, a job at mcdonalds pays more than the gov't is going to!!!

of course, there's a third option, congress can pull together and come up with something that has enough support in their ranks to be able to override his veto...

or they could just go back to what was probably plan A... trump gets some money for his border wall, the dreamers get protection and a legal path to citizenship.

otherwise, hey, you might want to hold off filing income tax this year... since it might not be looked at anyway till after the presidential elections in 2020!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It's so fun to see all these people on the Right suddenly becoming anarchists.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'd like to know what he can do about it. The question in the OP would apply if he had vetoed a spending bill, but he hasn't. He may have threatened to, but until a bill actually makes it to his desk, he cannot sign it.

I am constantly amazed by those who call for Trump's impeachment without a crime, want him investigated for anything they can find, claim he is a liar, a cheat, and anything else they think they can make stick, and yet somehow want him to circumvent Congress and force bills to come to his desk without Congressional approval.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

When you look at it like that, it kind of sound different huh?

If it were true then yeah but fewer than half of the population voted for him , more people voted for Clinton.

He's holding your country and the people who work for it to ransom over something that will cost you plenty and deliver little , there are bigger fish to fry than what he is obsessing over.

sigh, yes the popular vote thing that has the opposition still crying after over 2 years of the loss. perhaps it wasn't exactly half, perhaps it was only 48%, or maybe even 47%. But given that I'm not a democrat, I'm sure my absent math skills were already taken into account.

Buck up little camper, the 2020 elections are coming up, and perhaps your "majority" can spread out a bit this time instead of clumping up in two states. (pro tip, that's how to "beat the system")

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

oh, I'm sure he'd back down when the last of the secret service agents guarding him walks out the door because, well, a job at mcdonalds pays more than the gov't is going to!!!

of course, there's a third option, congress can pull together and come up with something that has enough support in their ranks to be able to override his veto...

or they could just go back to what was probably plan A... trump gets some money for his border wall, the dreamers get protection and a legal path to citizenship.

otherwise, hey, you might want to hold off filing income tax this year... since it might not be looked at anyway till after the presidential elections in 2020!!!

Yep, if they would decide to just go with "plan A", this wouldn't even be an issue. But now we have "optics" involved, and political grandstanding. But as I said in the OP, there ins't a path either now, or before all this, where Trump could "win", any other way, then to get his funding for what A LARGE PORTION OF AMERICANS seem to want.

I usually have to pay, so I'm good with canceling Tax season this year.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

I don't think you understand what that really means, but perhaps you could lay out how Trump should move forward here.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Q: What Trump should do about the shutdown?

A: Go to the folks He counts on to do His thinking, the "Twitter™sphere" of course...

Head Twit off to Twitter™...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

It's fun to see people not understand what the right is. The Right has always been for a smaller restricted government. so the EXTREME right is always for anarchists.... Just like the left is always for a bigger more controller Government so the EXTREME left becomes Communism... or worst, but I won't go there.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Trump should agree to whatever congress budgets then re-open government. . . . . .

And then shut down the border completely until he gets funding for the wall.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
I'd like to know what he can do about it. The question in the OP would apply if he had vetoed a spending bill, but he hasn't. He may have threatened to, but until a bill actually makes it to his desk, he cannot sign it.

I am constantly amazed by those who call for Trump's impeachment without a crime, want him investigated for anything they can find, claim he is a liar, a cheat, and anything else they think they can make stick, and yet somehow want him to circumvent Congress and force bills to come to his desk without Congressional approval.

TheRedneck

That is actually something the MSM should be saying but isn't. Technically, it's only and all the Senate who is to blame for this and nobody else. Trump hasn't veto'd anything, there isn't anything to veto. But in keeping up with the spin, I still think my OP makes a point.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

ya, but it seems to be Trump that is giving congress the impression that he will support the bills they are working on but then changing his mind halfway through the process and telling them it's just gonna get a veto if it hits his desk. so, the senate leadership just stops the process and they go back to the beginning in the process. if the senate/house leaders (both republican at this time) are refusing to bring the bills to the floor, there is no way they are gonna get through the congress to trump's desk and they aren't sending them there because they see it as a waste of time because trump has already said, he's just gonna veto them. so here we sit, with a totally nonfunctional government and a president who seems to think that everybody should just be stepping in line and going with everything he says, only all it takes is a few words from the freedom caucus, a few statements on fox news and he's off in a completely different direction.
so, well, this could be a very short shutdown, or a very long shutdown, there's no telling.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join