It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You A Federal Worker Affected By This Government Shutdown?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
If so, then NPR wants the best of the best sob stories for their broadcast. Load up a voice file with a good sob story and let NPR tell the world how bad you have it. I am sure that if you make something up, they will run with it.

This so reminds me the Jerry Springer show requests for show participants.

www.npr.org...

This is the third federal government shutdown this year. And this one comes at a particularly hard time — during the holidays. How are you and your family faring? Is there a specific consequence you're facing this time compared with others?

NPR's Weekend Edition is working on a story about federal workers during the shutdown. If you are affected, please share your story with us in the form below, or here. A producer may contact you to follow up.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
If so, then NPR wants the best of the best sob stories for their broadcast. Load up a voice file with a good sob story and let NPR tell the world how bad you have it. I am sure that if you make something up, they will run with it.

This so reminds me the Jerry Springer show requests for show participants.

www.npr.org...

This is the third federal government shutdown this year. And this one comes at a particularly hard time — during the holidays. How are you and your family faring? Is there a specific consequence you're facing this time compared with others?

NPR's Weekend Edition is working on a story about federal workers during the shutdown. If you are affected, please share your story with us in the form below, or here. A producer may contact you to follow up.

LOL. Nice try there deep state. Do you really want to make this thread? (Sarcifuhadtoask)

ETA. This could be a great discussion.
edit on 27-12-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Please tell us more about how little you care if federal workers go without paychecks over Christmas and New Years (/sarcasm).

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I wonder if the “ I’m a federal worker and mad as hell at the D’s and Chuck Schumer “ crowd will get screened out?
edit on 27-12-2018 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Please tell us more about how little you care if federal workers go without paychecks over Christmas and New Years (/sarcasm).

They were paid the 14th and 21st. respectively.

Nobody has missed a check yet... and they won't since they get back paid after.

For having a vacation... on my dime.

What I wonder... the people taking a vacation and then being paid for it are classified as "non-essential employees."

So if they are not essential. why the hell am I paying for them?

As a business owner, I don't just hire a few "non-essential employees".

Why does my government do that then?

Are they just really bad with spending my money?

/sarcasm
edit on 27-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

How can you claim this? You are 100% certain the shutdown will be resolved before their next paycheck?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

I wonder if the “ I’m a federal worker and mad as hell at the D’s and Chuck Schumer “ crowd will get screened out?

Don’t wonder. You know with 100% certainty those ones will be screened out.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

in this case essential are the employees who have to report to work without pay.
Think a snow day where the scroll at the bottom of the tv says such and such closed essential employees report as scheduled. These are the folks who keep the lights on.... so to speak.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

How can you claim this? You are 100% certain the shutdown will be resolved before their next paycheck?

I am claiming this because it is the 27th of December and nobody has missed a paycheck yet.

Now they very will may, since Democrats who traditionally didn't give a damn about government spending now suddenly care if we spend .012 of the budget on a wall...

However, no matter how it goes they have not lost their jobs and will get back paid for their vacation.

Any Federal worker who didn't see the signs of this, the what... 20th government shutdown now in recent history? will suffer for not making good decisions financially.

Perhaps they need to start voting for people who represent them.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

in this case essential are the employees who have to report to work without pay.
Think a snow day where the scroll at the bottom of the tv says such and such closed essential employees report as scheduled. These are the folks who keep the lights on.... so to speak.

~sigh~

If they are non essential, they are not the ones keeping the lights on, by definition...

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm an "excepted" federal worker. That means I get to still go to work every day and wait to be paid until after this nonsense is done. It is so stupid to shut down the government. Yes, some of us have to work with the expectation of being paid when the government reopens, but thousands of workers are furloughed, not working and, guess what? Congress will vote to pay them just the same so all the Trumpster has done is give thousands of workers a long Christmas holiday on MY dime and YOUR dime and lost out on thousands of dollars of work hours. No wonder he bankrupted so many companies. He's a complete brainiac. NOT. Why don't people learn from history??? Walls aren't for keeping people OUT, they are for keeping people IN that want OUT, just like the Berlin Wall did. As soon as they block us in so we can't get out. our Nazi fascist government will begin eliminating the population in earnest. Agenda 21 in action. Wake up, friends, we DO NOT want a wall that will turn us into rats in a trap. The CIA smuggles more drugs into America than the Mexicans ever will, that is just a ploy to turn people against each other. Stop falling for the lies!!

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I am claiming this because it is the 27th of December and nobody has missed a paycheck yet.

Now they very will may, since Democrats who traditionally didn't give a damn about government spending now suddenly care if we spend .012 of the budget on a wall...

However, no matter how it goes they have not lost their jobs and will get back paid for their vacation.

Any Federal worker who didn't see the signs of this, the what... 20th government shutdown now in recent history? will suffer for not making good decisions financially.

I think the thrust of what NPR is planning on discussing are the hardships imposed by missing paychecks (and I agree with you that its extremely likely everyone will get back pay).

You sound a bit callous regarding those who live paycheck to paycheck as if they had enough to ferret away into some kind of multi-month emergency slush fund.

Its easy to judge folks, but they're people and I can't see how sympathy isn't whats needed rather than judgment. Who cares whether they're angry at Trump or Democrats or whatever?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

It would stand to reason that those effected the most by the shutdown would be the most vocal. In turn, gaining support from normal folks and yelling in unison at those cancerous leaders that are in charge.

The fact that they have to have a story with a form seems to mean, to me at least, that the shut-down isn't as problematic for the people as the MSM would have believe.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

That's almost silly isnt it?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

This is so much of an important issue that our Congressmen and Senators went on vacation.

Why would they leave at a time like this?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Make them put their job description in the sob story. Any sympathy will instantly vanish, lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I think the thrust of what NPR is planning on discussing are the hardships imposed by missing paychecks (and I agree with you that its extremely likely everyone will get back pay).

You sound a bit callous regarding those who live paycheck to paycheck as if they had enough to ferret away into some kind of multi-month emergency slush fund.

Its easy to judge folks, but they're people and I can't see how sympathy isn't whats needed rather than judgment. Who cares whether they're angry at Trump or Democrats or whatever?

Federal employees make an average of 170% of what a private sector worker doing the same job does.

And I have to pay for that every month out of my check.

I'm not being callous... I am pointing out that we should probably start treating our government as a business.

You know... attach it to reality.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I know this is gonna sound cold but reality/facts tend to be this.

I have ZERO SYMPATHY for those claiming (including one here) hardship and anger over having to wait for a GUARANTEED backpay check for working.
I especially DONT CARE for those that get the backpay check but dont have to work for it during the shutdown.
add to it the FACT THEY STILL KEEP GETTING THEIR BENEFITS (healthcare, time in grade increases , still adding to retirement and vacation increases for example)

when I worked the private sector (now in LE but always subject to budget cuts instead of shutdown) if my employer was shut down I DIDNT GET A PAYCHECK nor any backpay.

in fact every private worker does face the threat their job could end immediately and they may never get their final check.

there is a company called SERVICOM that shut its doors suddenly in rockford (and elsewhere) that the employees are not guaranteed when and even if they are gonna get their final check

when bethehem steel went out of business employees lost EVERYTHING including retirement. those already retired were lucky to get pennies on the dollar for their retirement plans.

Yes there are a VERY FEW that during the government shutdown will not get paid during it...
most are contracted support services and in overall government operations are negligible percentage.

so lets get back to reality

most of the government employees are still getting paid.
most of the rest WILL GET BACK PAY for their work
some get backpay WITHOUT HAVING TO WORK
ALL OF THE ABOVE STILL GET BENEFITS LIKE HEALTHCARE, TIME IN GRADE BENEFIT INCREASES, ECT.
Also you KNOW THIS WILL HAPPEN so you can budget for it well in advance.

while the TAXPAYER is guaranteed NONE OF THIS working in the private sector (with a very few exceptions)

so forgive my coldness but let me ask those that are gonna give (again not those who truly are not getting anything during the shutdown) the sob stories this.

you want to trade your current government job or leave it for a private sector job?

I bet dollars to donuts they wont, just bitch about what they have.

scrounger
edit on 28-12-2018 by scrounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If you are a federal employee, you time your leave days with the holidays, maximize days off free. This time of year, nothing gets done anyways, everyone’s on leave. What’s even better, is since the government is shut down you don’t need to burn your leave days accrued!! Plus you get all of your back pay back if they decide to extend this shutdown into the next pay period. It’s a friggin a Win Win!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Did the government change how they have been doing business over the last decades, and now offer payments daily, instead of the 1st and the 15th?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join