It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What The Heck? Man Who Runs Firm Behind Trump-Russia Dossier to Plead the Fifth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Rut Roh! Glen Simpson is going to plead the Fifth!!!!!!!

According to documents obtained by LawNewz, attorneys for Fusion GPS’ Simpson sent a letter to Chairman Chuck Grassley expressing concern over the direction that the hearing was taking. The letter stated that Simpson would not voluntarily show up at the hearing due to a pre-planned vacation, and if subpoenaed he would exercise his First and Fifth Amendment rights not to testify before the committee examining the influence of foreign lobbying in the 2016 election.

lawandcrime.com...

This leaves a big gaping hole is the Russia narrative pushed by the left.

Vacationing is more important!

Didn't like the direction the hearing was taking!

This snip hat shoulda been in Kavanughs shoes last week.

I'd love to know how Neo McCarthyist's spin this.
edit on 11-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

This is from July 22nd, 2017.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I would love for this to somehow make a difference, but given that this news is over a year old I'm not holding my breath.

edit on 10 11 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The Maytag washers and dryers will be working overtime.

It's all coming out just in time for Nov 6th.

"Tora Tora Tora"

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

www.politico.com...

Simpson will invoke his "rights not to testify under the First and Fifth Amendments," his lawyers said in a letter to Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), who had subpoenaed Simpson to appear in a closed-door deposition on Oct. 16.

From X's thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I would love for this to somehow make a difference, but given that this news is over a year old I'm not holding my breath.

Here's a story from today.......

Fusion GPS co-founder spurns House GOP subpoena

Glenn Simpson, the co-founder of Fusion GPS — the firm that commissioned a now-infamous anti-Trump dossier — intends to assert his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination to decline a subpoena issued by the House Judiciary Committee.

Simpson will invoke his "rights not to testify under the First and Fifth Amendments," his lawyers said in a letter to Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), who had subpoenaed Simpson to appear in a closed-door deposition on Oct. 16.

"This Committee’s inquiry is not designed to discover the truth. The obvious — and at times explicitly stated — goal of this Committee is to discredit and otherwise damage witnesses to Russia’s interference in the 2016 election," the lawyers wrote, "all as part of an effort to protect a President who has sought to placate and curry favor with a hostile foreign power and who demands that the Justice Department stop investigating him."

😎

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

What’s wrong with pleading the 5th?

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Simpsons lawyers office should be raided like Cohen's!

Fair play and all that jazz.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

One invokes the fifth to hide they've committed a crime.

A crime regarding that FAKE dossier.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

One invokes the fifth to hide they've committed a crime.

A crime regarding that FAKE dossier.

I am in no way endorsing Fusion GPS but invoking the 5th is a right that has been practiced over and over again by the biggest players in this game. So why fault someone for doing that? Even when people from all aisles do it.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Simpson already has conflicting statements to include Bruce Ohr's testimony. Pretty apparent he's decided to shut up for numerous reasons. You just gotta love that he of all people is invoking the claim of "witch hunt" lol:

Using the recently released Ohr documentary evidence Daily Caller journalist Chuck Ross now draws attention to the conflict:

(Via Daily Caller) Newly released Department of Justice records appear to conflict with testimony that Fusion GPS founder Glenn Simpson gave to Congress in 2017 about the timeline of his interactions with top DOJ official Bruce Ohr.

Simpson claimed in testimony to the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on Nov. 14 that he did not have contact with any FBI or DOJ officials regarding the infamous Steele dossier until after the 2016 election. But Ohr’s emails, which have been provided to Congress, show that he and Simpson were in contact as early as August 2016.

[…] The Washington Examiner reported on Wednesday that Simpson sent an email with the subject line “Can u ring” to Ohr on Aug. 22, 2016. Ohr’s log shows he had contact of some sort with Simpson on that day.

Link(read more)

edit on 11-10-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Lol. He believes his vacation is more important. That should tell us everything we need to know about the whole issue then.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

$12.4 million for the dossier.

Wiki had it wrong.

As part of their investigation, Fusion GPS hired Orbis Business Intelligence, a private British intelligence firm, to look into connections between Trump and Russia. Orbis co-founder Christopher Steele, a retired British MI6 officer with expertise in Russian matters,[2] was hired as a subcontractor to do the job.[32] In total, Perkins Coie paid Fusion GPS $1.02 million in fees and expenses, $168,000 of which was paid to Orbis by Fusion GPS and used by them to produce the dossier.[33] The DNC and Clinton campaign disclosed the total amount paid to Perkins Coie on campaign finance reports.[34]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

It means he is worried he did something wrong. It can't be used as evidence in a trial, but it's clear what it is.

The 5th can only be used when you are worried your testimony incriminates you. It's an admission of wrongdoing or possible wrongdoing.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Allaroundyou

It means he is worried he did something wrong. It can't be used as evidence in a trial, but it's clear what it is.

The 5th can only be used when you are worried your testimony incriminates you. It's an admission of wrongdoing or possible wrongdoing.

I know what it means. But it is a right granted to all US citizens. So then why be upset by it? If you don’t like it then let’s start a petition.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Weird, so a year ago they send a letter to Grassley stating Simpson will be away on vacation and wont attend.
Link
Today, over a year later, they send a letter to Goodlatte, stating he will invoke the 5th.
Link
Smells like #Stall #Delay #RESIST

It smells like #BS

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

To be fair it could also be utilized to avoid a perjury trap. However, there's enough evidentiary items already public to show that's not the reason.

Simpson is also holding info that would most likely implicate others. I'm sure there are many corrupt DOJ--or ex-DOJ--folk involved that prefer him to keep quiet.

edit on 11-10-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Lol. He believes his vacation is more important. That should tell us everything we need to know about the whole issue then.

His vacation excuse was last year, this year he just flat out states he will not attend and will invoke the 5th.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

It smells like #BS

Smells like the speed of government.

Slow.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

You can plead the 5th anytime the question is designed to gather information that might tend to incriminate you: it doesn't mean your answer would specifically incriminate you. It's not an admission of anything.

He's being smart and listening to his lawyers.

Sidenote: I think this guy is knee deep in trouble and should be.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

I don't think it can be used to avoid lying. In fact I'm very confident it can't be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join