It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium F16 reported destroyed during ground maintenance explosion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Still early, but a report of an explosion during ground maintenance in Belgium destroying an F16 has popped up on Twitter. I assume this was a technical incident rather than the inhabitants of Molenbeek going on tour again?

BREAKING: An explosion during a ground maintenance at the Florennes military base in Florennes, Belgium has destroyed a Belgian air-force F16 jet, 2 people were injured in the incident

twitter.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

They apparently suffered hearing some hearing loss from the secondary explosions. You have to be careful with Viper fires though. They carry hydrazine for the EPU.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Hard telling with those fools. We were at TLP near Charleroi in 99, I think. Anyway, there is lightning hitting the base and they are screaming as to why aren't we out refueling our jets! Could have been lots though...jet fuel just doesn't explode.

LOX maybe?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

My money is on either fuel or hydraulic pump.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They apparently suffered hearing some hearing loss from the secondary explosions. You have to be careful with Viper fires though. They carry hydrazine for the EPU.

Yeah that's nasty stuff. There was a hydrazine leak at Al Udied when I was there and they shut down like 1/4 of the flightline over it. And they've got a really big flightline there.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Going from memory it was something like 400 yards from other aircraft and 100 yard exclusion zone for personnel. It's been a couple years though so don't hold me to that. I do remember that having the phone ring and hearing "active EPU inbound" was a great way to ruin a day.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Sure, but where is the heat source? Hot brakes? Hydro leaking on hot brakes? I cannot recall an F-16 "exploding".

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

"Explosion" means a different thing to the media.

There was smoke. And injuries. Must be an "explosion".

I'd wait to hear anything in the way of actual facts before making a guess.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

If it's the fuel pump, metal on metal contact causing sparks that set off the tank. Hydraulics, probably an engine run with a leak. Without knowing what was being done, a WAG is all we get though.

ETA- Probably not fuel pump. It appears the fire started first and there were several explosions after.
edit on 10/11/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Fo shizzle. We all took chafing awareness on lawn darts after the wives of several pilots sued the AF, so I am going chafed line sparked and caught "x" on fire.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

You can drop a match in JP-8 and it will go out....so had to be hot somewhere. Agree, engine run, hydro line burst...meh, could be a dozen things.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

That's if the tank is full and doesn't have vapor buildup. It's all going to come down to what they were troubleshooting. I've pretty much crossed fuel pump off my list. Fuel line maybe, but not pump.
edit on 10/11/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
First pic I've seen.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Going from memory it was something like 400 yards from other aircraft and 100 yard exclusion zone for personnel. It's been a couple years though so don't hold me to that. I do remember that having the phone ring and hearing "active EPU inbound" was a great way to ruin a day.

We never had to learn that because we (fuels) didn't deal with hydrazine, but if you're right that would explain why such a large portion of the airfield was shut down. 400 yards would cover a bunch of taxiways, so that section of the taxiway would have to be closed. If there was no turnoff before that, you effectively have to close the entire taxiway.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I had to know it because of working for TA. We had to have an area that the aircraft could be parked in, and serviced that didn't totally screw the rest of the ramp. That wasn't easy with our layout, let me tell you.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So...... did NOT see this one coming. Report this morning is that another aircraft was being worked on in a nearby hangar, and the gun was accidentally activated. And had rounds loaded.

I wonder if the mechanic will get to put an F-16 kill mark on his toolbox.
edit on 10/12/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

So...... did NOT see this one coming. Report this morning is that another aircraft was being worked on in a nearby hangar, and the gun was accidentally activated. And had rounds loaded.

I wonder if the mechanic will get to put an F-16 kill mark on his toolbox.

Article mentioning that here (Not in English) www.sudinfo.be...

Are there not safety systems in place to stop that from happening other that just a safety switch/toggle?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

The only thing I can think of is he was working something that required power to the gun.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

WTF!!! Don't they have a weight on wheels switch system on those?

I remember an A-7 landing at Cecil Field FL. in the 80's. The pilot didn't safe his cannon and it discharged on landing. Nobody was hurt, but, it shredded the back of a UPS truck that was on the road past the end of the runway.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

It can be bypassed for ground testing. That's why I say he had to have been working on the gun. That's the only way I can see every safety system failing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join