It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking to a moron about the weather.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Remember; climate and weather are two different things. Every time it snows, some tool will go "Where's your global warming now?" and I have to correct them: "Climate change?". Then they try to say "You see? It's snowing. Climate change is fake news."

Reality:
Folks, the climate is changing..... New England is tough to gauge due to the fact that there are 3 weather systems that are constantly converging, so our weather is sporadic to say the least. The only other place on Earth where this happens is somewhere in Japan, the name of which escapes me. It's heating up in most places, which changes the climate, which can change the weather. Finally, if you don't think it's at least partially our fault, then think about this: If I was sitting in a large room, and slowly began introducing a tiny bit of c02 in the room over a long period of time, eventually, the rooms would be full of c02 and I'd suffocate to death. That's essentially what's happening on a much larger scale with our planet, and where do you think all that bad stuff is coming from? Badgers? Trees? Sharks? Some asshole in the woods with a can of hairspray? No! It's billions of vehicles, coal mines, the 3000 nuclear weapons all the super powers exploded all around the world, and much more. I think we're #ed by now, because we've known about the greenhouse effect since the 50s and still can't get everybody on the same page.

How would I fix it?
If we were going to try and reverse this, I'm thinking that one way would be to build massive, air-scrubbing facilities (Think of the atmosphere processor from the movie "Aliens") and place them strategically in areas of high toxic emissions. These things would be the size of pyramids, would cost trillions, and would still take decades to start to truly make a noticeable impact, but I'm all for it.

It would have to be a global coalition type thing though; all countries would have to begin building one near their worst cities, but think about the jobs that such a massive undertaking would create! We'd invent the industry and pioneer it, just like when we all came together to put man on the moon! It would be a prosperous time for man, and it would all go to saving the world! Or... we could build a stupid #ing wall.

Thoughts?

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Climate changed thanks to nature many times, and quite dramatically, on it's own before the Industrial Revolution. It's not moronic to be sceptical about climate Change.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The climate has been changing since the planet formed, it will continue to change with varying periods of warmer and colder cycles. This will go on with or without the presence of humans.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The climate is always changing and is always getting hotter, colder, wetter, drier and everything in between. The problem we have (as a world) is so called "man made" climate change, where change appears to be accelerated warming. This will have good and bad consequences, not least because the natural environment won't be able to cope with the rapidity of change.

Good for vineyards in England where surprisingly good wine is made, but pretty crap for someone living on a low-lying island that will be (er) underwater in a few year. Crap to for those parts of the world which will become deserts, or have to cope with more severe weather, but good for agriculture in Siberia, etc., etc...

The problem with tackling (man-made) climate change is the politics. China is still building loads of coal powered power stations and is the biggest polluter (twice as much as the US), but somehow the US is at fault. Such silliness breeds cynicism.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl

Finally, if you don't think it's at least partially our fault, then think about this: If I was sitting in a large room, and slowly began introducing a tiny bit of c02 in the room over a long period of time, eventually, the rooms would be full of c02 and I'd suffocate to death.

Except, that's a terrible analogy to the earth's atmosphere and ecosystem, where carbon in the atmosphere actually either breaks down and dissipates, or is used up by things (mostly trees and other flaura) as a core element of their life and growth.

In a room with only you and ever-increasing CO2, yes, that would be catastrophic because there would be basically nothing that would aid in converting the gas into something else (like what happens in the atmosphere).

Plus, the "fear" of too much CO2 in the atmosphere isn't surrounding "suffocate[ing] to death," it's about the warming that it's supposed to cause.

If we were going to try and reverse this, I'm thinking that one way would be to build massive, air-scrubbing facilities (Think of the atmosphere processor from the movie "Aliens") and place them strategically in areas of high toxic emissions. These things would be the size of pyramids, would cost trillions, and would still take decades to start to truly make a noticeable impact, but I'm all for it.

Or, and hear me and John Denver out:

Why spend your proposed trillions on machinery that will rape the earth of more materials and cause possibly toxic waste and need constant maintenance when we can spend a fraction of that and help rebuild forests that we've cut down?

K.I.S.S.

Or... we could build a stupid #ing wall.

Thoughts?

I think that's an asinine red herring, that's what I think.

ETA: Here's a real assessment of what it would take for CO2 to become toxic to humans:

The number to watch for is 45 mm Hg of CO2 in the air, or 6% or 60,000 PPM – that is the concentration of CO2 that needs to be reached for the humankind to become extinct. If my math is serving me right, if we divide 60,000 PPM with 400 PPM we get the ‘kill factor’ for CO2: 150.

In other words, the concentration of CO2 needs to increase 150-fold for the CO2 to become toxic.

Source

So, quell your fears about suffocating because of CO2, unless you foresee the concentration in the atmosphere increasing 150-fold coming up any time soon (and by soon, I'm talking in millions of years).
edit on 11-10-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I like your example of sitting in a room and letting co2 into the room slowly.
The only problem I have with the idea is that the room has a window that's open this letting the co2 out.
Plants eat carbon dioxide so plant some trees..

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Agree! Politics... and getting everyone on the same page would just create a power-play.

Also, people don't typically see things happening when things are progressing slowly.

Do you wear glasses? Do you remember the very first time you went to the eye doctor for glasses? I bet you thought you could see perfectly fine, until you put on glasses!

It always takes some major event to get people to change.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Kind of agree...
I wonder how much can actually be sucked up and dissipated over a long period of time though.
Here's another god awful analogy.
It's kind of like being on a diet... at first all kinds of weight is lost because you're eating at a deficit, then you start eating a little more and you put a few LBs back on and you're just kind of maintaining, slowly as time goes by you're eating even more and you're gaining again.
How much can our trees suck up? How much is too much?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

....and John Denver can kiss my ass

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I figured the Rockies would be rockier, that John Denver is full of # man.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Hey I'd love to plant trees. Billions of them around the planet to make up for half of what we've taken down. But there's not profit to be made by planting trees, only valuable real estate to be used up. See where I'm going with that?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Anyway, it was just food for thought and my own personal opinion on the matter. It's not aimed at anyone directly and I'm certainly not going to argue about it. I'm tired of the arguing, I'd love to see some positive solutions, hard to come by these days when everyone wants to just disagree and argue their own point. Oh well...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

guessing you have never been to Britain , we are hit by 5 air systems

Arctic maritime , Polar maritime , Polar continental , Tropical Maritime , and Tropical Continental

so often it can be sunny , rainy , windy, and snowing all in one day in Scotland, we have some really interesting weather.

As for climate change, Yes I completely agree, I even think our seasons are shifting slightly , pushing them back a little further.

I was speaking to a taxi driver and her ex husband is a geologist who examines ice cores from the antarctic and said that we are going through a 500 year cycle of warming and cooling ?

I did see recently a new energy system which is fueled by CO2
I think Scotlands answer to climate change is to convert entirely to renewables by 2050

Scotland is a world leader on tackling climate change and Scotland’s transition to a more prosperous, low carbon economy is already well underway. We have created jobs and backed innovative, new industries while winning international respect for our ambition and leadership on climate change. The Scottish Government is committed to playing its part in the Paris Agreement, which central aim is to keep global temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

Analysis by the International Finance Corporation indicates that the Paris Agreement will help open up $23tn worth of opportunities for climate-smart investments in emerging markets between 2016 and 2030. By increasing our long-term targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by at least 90% by 2050, the new Climate Change Bill will continue to provide the necessary certainty and impetus to markets, businesses and industries to shift towards low-carbon technologies and practices.

Scottish Government Climate Change

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Climate changed thanks to nature many times, and quite dramatically, on it's own before the Industrial Revolution. It's not moronic to be sceptical about climate Change.

Ya, it changed on it's own without us doing everything and still patting ourselves on the back for making it happen quicker and with gusto.

This is what irks me. If someone has cancer, do you say "You'd have gotten cancer anyway, have another ciggy." Or do you say "Oh.. well those ciggy's didn't help. Lets tell others about how smoking can give them cancer." ?

you'd sit back chomping on a tailor made and bellowing plumes of smoke burbling "Smoking ain't not yet done killed me!"

If your house is on fire, perhaps by the sun just naturally starting fires, do you just go "Welp, nature did it again." or do you think... "Ya know, we should be concerned for us, human folk, about now."

Nah, more coal on the fires, gotta keep warm when it's summer.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Parishna

It's pretty much a "no" from me to all those examples but point is the link to Climate Change being man-made is not proven yet.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Awesome! This is what I'm talking about.

Nope, I've never been to Britain, would love too!

Sounds a lot like it is here. Leave the house in the morning wearing winter gear, pack your umbrella for the rain/thunder-storms later, go home wearing flip flops and a tank top, maybe some snow later on...

Thank you for the information! Proactivity is good!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

The climate has been changing since the planet formed, it will continue to change with varying periods of warmer and colder cycles. This will go on with or without the presence of humans.

So... Christmas should be cancelled then. No point, everyone. We're all doomed. Let's not discuss the topic, it's a hoax anyway. We're just gonna have to cop it, mother nature style. That means we're all dead, you know. Dead. Like.. no more xbox, or nintendo. WII will just have to accept it.

It'd be nice if we lived in a world where people actually considered things, rather than beat people over the head for pointing things out. Might all be a moot point, but sometimes, someone, somewhere, comes up with something, that somehow makes somewhat of a difference.

Lets argue about carbon taxes and stuff instead.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: Parishna

It's pretty much a "no" from me to all those examples but point is the link to Climate Change being man-made is not proven yet.

Who said that it has to be.

Ugh, that was my point.

If you're drowning, do you say "Well that's what water does." or do you swim?

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Just because something hasn't been proven doesn't mean it isn't real.
Simply by the way your wrote that sentence, using the word "Yet", tells me that you at least consider it.

For crying out loud I've lived in the same exact area for almost 50 years and never in my life did I dream we'd get storms and tornados strong enough to force people to up and move out of the community where generations of their families have lived. Until last winter. Now it's the norm. I guess it's been becoming the norm for a while but like I said in a different comment, it happens so slowly that ya don't even notice it until it's right under your nose.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Plants eat carbon dioxide so plant some trees..

On the op.

Saying Climate and weather are different is like saying a handgun is different from a rifle.

Same GD thing.

The only difference is a variable called time.

Through the billions of years. The Climate has been in a perpetual state of motion. In all reality a perpetual motion engine.

Not doing anything new.
edit on 11-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join