It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Sacha Baron Cohen Go Too Far By Disguising Himself As A Disabled Vet For Sarah Palin Interview?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Didn't see any mention on this, so I figured I'll be the one to stir the pot. Sacha Baron Cohen has resurfaced from limbo, by going undercover, while in disguise, for a new seven-episode series for Showtime, called "Who is America". He reportedly "dupes" famous Americans for interviews. Showtime called the program “the most dangerous show in the history of television.”

Showtime called the program “the most dangerous show in the history of television,” and it’s been described as a “satirical half-hour series,” but some critics say it appears to be designed to mock conservatives and Donald Trump supporters. Fox News reported that a source claimed it was “a Hollywood hit job on GOP” complete with a conspiracy-theory-laden fake website and at least one character named Dr. Billy Wayne Ruddick, supposedly played by Cohen.

heavy.com...

Dick Cheney apparently got "duped."

Sacha Baron Cohen posted a video snippet on Instagram that appears to show an interview with former Vice President Cheney. Fox News reported that Cohen posed as “an Israeli Mossad agent” to masquerade in the interview with Cheney.

heavy.com...

Sarah Palin isn't happy with being duped. Sarah and her daughter travelled cross country, for what they thought was a Showtime documentary to honor American Vets. Little did they know, it was a scam, with Sacha Baron Cohen posing as a disabled vet....in a wheelchair.

'For my interview, my daughter and I were asked to travel across the country where Cohen (I presume) had heavily disguised himself as a disabled US Veteran, fake wheelchair and all,' explained Palin.

'Out of respect for what I was led to believe would be a thoughtful discussion with someone who had served in uniform, I sat through a long "interview" full of Hollywoodism’s disrespect and sarcasm - but finally had enough and literally, physically removed my mic and walked out, much to Cohen’s chagrin.'

She went on to state: 'The disrespect of our US military and middle-class Americans via Cohen’s foreign commentaries under the guise of interview questions was perverse.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'm not for, or against Sarah Palin, but I do feel that she's very patriotic. I don't give to many charities, but I do give to the DAV (Disabled American Veterans Charity), because my late father was a USAF vet and I respect the men and women who served and ended up disabled. Sarah Palin was livid, not only because she was duped, but because of the disrespectful way it was done, in addition to the lack of respect towards veterans, at this bogus interview.

In a lengthy Facebook post on July 10, 2018, Palin appeared to be irate, writing that the ruse was “truly sick.” “The challenge is to Cohen, CBS and Showtime: donate all proceeds to a charitable group that actually respects and supports American Vets. Mock politicians and innocent public personalities all you want, if that lets you sleep at night, but HOW DARE YOU mock those who have fought and served our country,” she wrote.

heavy.com...

So, the question is...is this brilliant satire, or exploitive humor? I don't think I'll be watching.
edit on 7/11/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/11/2018 by shawmanfromny because: spelling

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Impersonating any form past or present of the military is a Federal offense. One can get a military tribunal and a firing squad for that under certain conditions.
That was very stupid...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Indeed it is.

Why Palin, I wonder? Talk about political non-entities, for the moment, anyway. It'll be interesting seeing how this gets spun, by all sides...

It's a cheap ploy to score points off someone who isn't even, so far as I know, currently involved at any significant level of American politics.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
He's disgusting. Wonder if our friends across the pond will appreciate his humour this time.

He needs to be reminded that he'd be speaking German if it weren't for the brave US military.
edit on 11-7-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It's the Kazakhstan thing all over again. Cohen sets out to be intentionally distasteful and provocative. It's how he makes his money. A lot of his stuff revolves around jibes that might just get him killed. It's shock humour. I don't really get his sketch stuff, to be honest.

I do enjoy when he walks the line like this though. This blowback must have always been part of the plan.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Gothmog

Indeed it is.

Why Palin, I wonder? Talk about political non-entities, for the moment, anyway. It'll be interesting seeing how this gets spun, by all sides...

It's a cheap ploy to score points off someone who isn't even, so far as I know, currently involved at any significant level of American politics.

Palin wasnt a political entity when she needed to be...
Certainly not now.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Showtime called the program “the most dangerous show in the history of television.”

At which point in time you should have been able to realize this is actually scripted television. Everything on TV is scripted.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The world needs more of this

Sacha is a champ at exposing idiotic bias, I miss this fella so much... Borat was gold when I was a kid, I've watched most of his interviews. I still remember when he got a Cambridge professor to admitting that men are smarter than woman.

Stupid is as stupid does, and Sacha sure loves catching people in the act.

Can't wait

Edit - Sarah Palin most definitely deserves to be made a fool.
In the current times I believe satirical commentary is needed more than anything else.
edit on 11-7-2018 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
"Hollywoodism"?

Labeling is too easy in these times, I think. I do not think that these labels do help in any way other than to prejudge and to make generalizations. Often, these words can not even be understood outside the specific social group, here: listeners of some right-wing-media Sarah Palin prefers.

And that is a stupid thing to do.

"Educate yourself!!1!" - no thank you. Not everything is worth knowing.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I think you should all lighten up a bit.
It's satire.
Oh and don't push all that #e about you lot saving us yeah you helped but the Russians were the real guys who helped the most.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
MAH WAIF!

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Did he really have to go through an elaborate set-up to dupe Sarah Palin? Sounds like Sacha didn't do his homework...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Well..as a disabled vet, i find all his stuff cringeful, but hilarious. ALI G anyone? You cant laugh at the guy pulling out NYC college students and making them look stupid about Trumps SCOTUS nominee while having faux outrage at something you havent even seen.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Oh man I forgot how funny his interviews are.
He loves taking the piss outa everyone especially the USA, iF people are getting offended over him tough....I suggest not being offended it is a choice.
edit on 11-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Well i am sure i could offend the UK if i wanted. The thing is....what purpose would i be serving? His is great social commentary if you look past tbe surface....
I would say that I hope he didnt pose as an officer or made false claims of serving......tgat is some no kidding jail time.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Were you there when London was bombed? Or the Jews murdered? This is not comedy-it's lack of honor to American troops. He should interview his own country-leave ours alone-we wouldn't claim him. Just mention those royals and they'd snatch him away so he comes here. There's plenty of comedic satire in England. Make fun of your own war veterans-ours saved their butts from total annihilation-and they know it.

edit on 11-7-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I guess we won’t know until we see the show. I’d be dissapointed if he took the p&ss out of military personnel, being a returned serviceman myself. Taking the p@ss out of old politicians while pretending to be a returned vet could work if it’s done right. We’ll wait and see I guess...

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Waaaaahhhhh like I said it is a choice to be offended If you don't like it don't watch it simple.
Snowflakes....
edit on 11-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I remember crying when I heard this American mock the English accent, oh the pain he caused, I think our fellow ATS Americans need some balance

oh and we have bad teeth, its so upsetting

I know keep guns legal but ban comedy, who ever died from laughing, if they did at least it was better than dying from lead poisoning

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Jeezus dude. Believe it or not there are Brits that like us and some that loathe us....and vice versa for Americans. Aint no need to go on a diatribe like that. You ever been to Europe....seen al the crosses? Lots of boys from all over the world are in the ground here who helped put and end to WW2.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join