It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distant Mars Rock with Head?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Poking around with the recent images again. Thought this was interesting. Looks kind of like a statue with a head on it. Or a large balanced boulder. Unfortunately, I don't think the rover will ever get closer to it to get a good look at it:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 2-7-2018 by Blue Shift because: Replace Graphic

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I took a look and expanded the picture. If I'm looking at what I think you are looking at I don't see it myself. There's not enough clarity or resolution to see anything clearly. There is certainly a protrusion of some sort, but that's as far as I get. EDIT TO ADD: I took a look at the color pic below. Looks like a rock outcrop to me.
edit on 7/2/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Better image

We got your "head" in color

Check it.

Top left of the image, near the hilltop.

I noticed this same rock formation. I scan all new raw mast images manually at full resolution on either a 29" S-IPS panel with 8-bit color channels and 2560x1080(21:9) max resolution or on a 43" 4K S-IPS panel with 10-bit color channels.

I notice stuff like this all the time, but rarely post about it. Anytime I make serious inquiries to the online community, I'm met with such negative input that I stopped bothering. Since you looked and found a black and white, I feel you'll at least be partially interested in this.

Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Check this version:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

If that's still not enough, too bad.

Curiosity has 2 Megapixel cams, max.

Best we can do is a cell phone camera circa 2006, for this little 2 billion dollar RC car.

Still waiting for EXO

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I can unclearly see a guy standing in the distance with his arms raised over his head at an angle.

Maybe it's a stickup!

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
Since you looked and found a black and white, I feel you'll at least be partially interested in this.

Hmmm... more like a pillar than a statue. I wonder what kind of event made it stick up like that. Seems as though with Mars you get a lot of stuff that is weathered by wind and long-ago water, and then in other spots it will just be twisted and torn up like a meteor hit, but recently, not in the distant past.

Maybe when we passed through that stray asteroid cloud 13,000 years ago, Mars got hit by the same stuff.

Or it's John Winston's Photon Belt.
edit on 2-7-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I can unclearly see a guy standing in the distance with his arms raised over his head at an angle.

Maybe it's a stickup!

Usually your posts make some sense. Usually.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I see noting but rocks? Except a larger rock in the distance? Is that what you are referring too?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Maybe it's a stickup!

Usually your posts make some sense. Usually.

Usually people have a sense of humor. Usually.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

It's a rock with a slightly different shading and color hue than the surrounding rocks.

It is sticking up on the horizon by a larger proportion as compared to it's neighboring rocks.

Your scrutiny of physical description can only be so specific with the cams we have available.

This is the best we can do, right now.

If you want to see an actual Corinthian pillar, what would you expect it to look like after years on Mars? It's a planet that has dust storms large enough to cover entire oceans on Earth. :|

I too, wouldn't believe in an extraterrestrial being until it was in my kitchen making food for me, but as of today, we have an RC car with black and white bit per dot images being transmitted across our solar system from cameras that were outdone by the Sony Cybershot in the early 2000's.

So, we work with what we have. We make conjectures based on data.

EXOmars will land and suddenly Mars will look like Google Street view.

Until then, we have this unfortunate peephole.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Hurghle. Red Mars images! Hooray. Let me get out the color correction tools. After finding out that by getting rid of the butternut squash color, the things look incredibly earth like.

I've turned into the Martian Color Nazi.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

There's blue dirt where you live?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

There is bright blue dirt close to where I live its rich in copper and oxidization has given it that color...
Just saying
It looks alot more alien then so called unaltered Mars photos
edit on 2-7-2018 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

There's blue dirt where you live?

Twilight does the trick around here. Sometimes, we get a weird, off color sunset, too.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Yeah. A sky full of dust can do funny things to the light.
Mars has really, really fine dust that gets carried very high in its atmosphere.
edit on 7/2/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Maybe it's a stickup!

Hmm i think you might be on something.
Its a cowboy thats for sure, as all i see
is the cow in the middle...

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I recant this post, as upon closer inspection, the area in question has for more interesting anomalies than what OP is pointing out.

Including evidence of large mollusk shells.

Nice OP, you made me do a deep analysis on this. I believe this SOL's images have captured evidence of life.

(2098)

There is a massive ammonite shell that is intact enough for me to call it as it is.

This is fossil evidence or even potential current evidence of macro cellular organisms on Mars.

One anomaly in the image, even looks like a Snorker from Sanctum 2.

This immediately grabbed my attention because I was looking at this same type of anomaly... Days ago, in SOL 2084

One life requirement is proliferation.
edit on 3-7-2018 by Archivalist because: Thanks OP

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Why post here?
You should notify JPL since they seem to have missed it.

edit on 7/3/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Why post here?
You should notify JPL since they seem to have missed it.

It took them *how long* to admit the mud on the rover's tires was actually mud, and not some 'chemical process that mimicked mud'?? And how many interesting items have they obliterated with the drill?

They'd try to order a carpet bombing to tidy up the joint.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

,mars is also enduring a global sand storm at the moment as well !

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join