It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica loses three trillion tonnes of ice in 25 years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
More melting! Well ATS, it appears that the runaway melting if the Antarctic is going full steam ahead and is getting faster. Scientists are saying that this melting has already increased three-fold since 2012 based offf of satellite data.

Antarctica is shedding ice at an accelerating rate. Satellites monitoring the state of the White Continent indicate some 200 billion tonnes a year are now being lost to the ocean as a result of melting. This is pushing up global sea levels by 0.6mm annually - a three-fold increase since 2012 when the last such assessment was undertaken. Scientists report the new numbers in the journal Nature. Governments will need to take account of the information and its accelerating trend as they plan future defences to protect low-lying coastal communities. The researchers say the losses are occurring predominantly in the West of the continent, where warm waters are getting under and melting the fronts of glaciers that terminate in the ocean.

I know humans haven't been keeping records of glacial ice melt for that long but this information has to be alarming. Glaacial loss has increased from 53 billion to 159 billion tonnes per year over the full period from 1992 to 2017. It concerns me because this is like a snowball that's gaining momentum and size as it rolls downhill. Mankind needs to stop this snowball before it's too big to stop. That's what I think. What says ATS?

www.bbc.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Mankind needs to stop this snowball before it's too big to stop. That's what I think. What says ATS?

www.bbc.com...

ok, how?

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It once was without ice and it will be without ice again nothing can be done other then watch. I personally wish it would happen while I'm young enough to go explore .

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Ug, just a drop in the ocean right?

😎

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Tides in the Bay of Fundy are not getting any higher . Sounds like a win win for the Wales with more water to swim in and for boaters to sail on . I wonder how much higher the water got in the Pacific with all the Hawaiian stuff happening . The Island got to be bigger now .

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

91 volcanoes discovered beneath Antarctica's ice. But are they active?
www.usatoday.com...

Active Volcano Discovered Under Antarctic Ice Sheet
www.livescience.com...

Give you 1 guess why they melt ....

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Antarctica loses three trillion tonnes of ice in 25 years

Ok , ok I get it.
You got me.
I took it for my Southern Iced Tea..
Now , feel better ?

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

What percent is that? And how much have sea levels risen??

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

How does mankind stop the sun and vulcanism?

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I didn't know that Walmart made a scale that big.

CO2 scrubbers are now here.

Wealth re-distributing governments with their scam carbon tax can suck it.

They are just going to have to contribute something instead of regulate and tax themselves into wealth on other people's backs.

Stupid OPM scammers

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: lostbook
Mankind needs to stop this snowball before it's too big to stop. That's what I think. What says ATS?

www.bbc.com...

ok, how?

Not sure. For starters, maybe stop burning fossil fuels...? Stop the return of Coal? I know this won't happen anytime soon but something has to be done.

I'd almost entertain the idea of going complete Bruce Willis and getting a team of mercenaries to venture to Earth's core and getting things back on track with a powerful blast...?

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Huh? What does the core have to do with the ice?
Yah lost me there.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

humans did this 100 million years ago as well, driving their damn cars everywhere!!

One hundred million years ago, the Earth was in the grip of an extreme Greenhouse Effect. The polar ice caps had all but melted; in the south, rainforests inhabited by dinosaurs existed in their place.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

from the article:

Globally, sea levels are rising by about 3mm a year. This figure is driven by several factors, including the expansion of the oceans as they warm. But what is clear from the latest Imbie assessment is that Antarctica is becoming a significant player.

"A three-fold increase now puts Antarctica in the frame as one of the largest contributors to sea-level rise," said Prof Shepherd, who is affiliated to Leeds University, UK.

"The last time we looked at the polar ice sheets, Greenland was the dominant contributor. That's no longer the case."

In total, Antarctica has shed some 2.7 trillion tonnes of ice since 1992, corresponding to an increase in global sea level of more than 7.5mm.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

www.smithsonianmag.com...

Melting Glaciers Are Wreaking Havoc on Earth’s Crust

How could this be? The answer lies in a phenomenon of melting glaciers and seesawing weight across the earth called “glacial isostatic adjustment.” You may not know it, but the Last Ice Age is still quietly transforming the Earth’s surface and affecting everything from the length of our days to the topography of our countries. Read more:

just saying

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Huh? What does the core have to do with the ice?
Yah lost me there.

Sci fi fantasy. I had a moment.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
well, well..maybe soon we will get to see what all the fuss is about down there.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Listen to the math they are using. Total bs imo.

A .5 mm of a rise in the oceans levels?

There is no freakin way that number is legit. The ocean isn't a bowl of water. Too many variables.

More things than I can think of change water levels. Natural erosion of land into the sea, for one. On shore erosion, and especially from rivers like the Mississippi dumping massive amounts of silt into the ocean, underwater volcanoes, same thing, sewage, dumping, etc, etc...

On top of that, what is their margin of error for their test, for reading a body of water that is always moving up and down with the tide?

.5 mm is thinner than my wiskers

Sounds like fake science, prior to some bs carbon scam.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Lol. Right on. Good movie.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I know why. but no one would believe it.
and my idea would be stolen.

they are idiots.
they say the moon is getting hotter
because of tire and foot marks?
did they race around the moon 1000 times?

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join