It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower The Voting Age?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
www.theblaze.com/video/parkland-teens-want-to-lower-the-voting-age-to-just-16-years-old-and-guess-who-supports-it#comments

So, you are telling me 18 year old kids are not mature enough to own a long rifle...or any firearm before 21, but are mature enough to vote on who runs our country?

Please stop the world, i want to get off...the insanity is driving me nuts!

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Just like cigarettes and religion, you gotta hook em while they're young and impressionable.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

At what age can you join the military and fight for your country ?
That is the age you should be able to vote.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

instead of an age restriction is should be an intelligence restriction. i just dont know how to go about that.

people are stupid man and not just kids.

we have some #in half mongos out there and that is a major problem.

not just with voting age though that is the major one.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

This is the usual Liberal tactic : "Do as we say, not as we do"

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I have a friend who voted for McCain because he thought Sarah Palin was hot. That's his right and prerogative. You may not agree, but you can vote for anyone for any reason. I love America.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

There is no logic to it. They are just hoping people will do whatever mental gymnastics they need to in order for it to seem rational because ,by god, that's what their party tells them they should believe so it must be true!

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

I have a friend who voted for McCain because he thought Sarah Palin was hot. That's his right and prerogative. You may not agree, but you can vote for anyone for any reason. I love America.

# like that is a problem. i dont like it.
at the same time though i am with you.

things like that so make America awesome. we can make a choice like that for whatever reason we wish.
it also makes America suck sometimes because stupid people make serious decisions like their vote that affect millions of other people based on the fact they think someone is hot.

thats #ed up.

but awesome too cause that gentile has a voice that can be heard

but its #ed up

there is always going to be the human factor which is why we are always going to have major problems.
that will never change

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

To be fair, of the reasons to vote for John McCain, that IS probably the best.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

But you can't buy cigarettes or alcohol until the age of 21 because you aren't mature enough.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

What usually gets me is when you ask someone why they support a candidate, usually they don't have a good answer, or for that matter, any answer.

I suggest people decide for themselves how they feel about topics like abortion, death penalty, deficits, etc., and then find the candidate that fits best. Today however, its us against them, and usually you'll support whoever is running in your party.

I tend to vote for a Republican for Governor for my State, Connecticut, even though I'm a Democrat. To many liberals or conservatives in the legislature cause a lot of problems without a stop-gap. As far as legislature, I vote Dem. As far as voting for President, I've voted for Reagan, Dole, Obama, Bush Sr., so I don't really have a party when it comes to President. I didn't vote for the current President, which most of you already know from my posts.

One thing I find very funny though is, once a President is out of office, I tend to like them better. LOL!

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
not responsible enough to own a gun but responsible enough to take out 100k in debt

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I suggest people decide for themselves how they feel about topics like abortion, death penalty, deficits, etc., and then find the candidate that fits best. Today however, its us against them, and usually you'll support whoever is running in your party.

!

i do too.
in the end we are still voting for 1 dude to run the show though and ALL those dudes are liars. some lie big and some lie small.
they may say they are going to do one thing then do another and that may be based on what happened with something else.

people are just too different.
we all have different ideals and values and the best we can do is pick the person we think best represents those and even then it is a compromise.

kind of a #ty deal.
ideally every issue would be a 1 person 1 vote kind of a deal but that still leaves a # ton of people that are going to have things enacted that they do not support.

there is no system that will give everyone what they want because too many people want/value too many different things.

but still.
people are stupid and if there was some way to make sure they had a certain level of intelligence before voting on things that impact others would be nice.

voting for mccain cause dem tittays is not a good reason.
but it is their reason and they are entitled to their opinions/reasons

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

At what age can you join the military and fight for your country ?
That is the age you should be able to vote.

And buy a gun and drink alcohol. If you can die for your country you should have ALL your rights. 18 is the correct age for all of those.
edit on 2018/6/2 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Is this actually a real initiative?

Ordinarily I would say stuff like this is being pushed by the liberal left, but if that's the case here they might want to be real careful. That might not work out like they hope.

In my opinion there should be only one age of Consent. Pick whatever you want (16, 18 or 21), but you can't pick more than one. Whatever the age is, it should be the age to vote, the age to enlist or be drafted into the military, buy liquor, boink your girlfriend, get married, buy firearms (all)...be considered a tax deduction, be covered by mom & dad's insurance. etc.

Just ONE age. I think this would help in a number of different areas.

edit on 6/2/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I have no problem giving people a test when they register to vote at the age of 18.
15 to 20 basic questions about how the government works like the 3 branches.
They need to pass a much more extensive test to get a drivers licence.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Oh, and one other thing...

I vigorously disagree with the notion of crime and punishment being broken down by 'adult' vs 'juvenile'. You do the crime, you do the time. Period. Everybody goes to the same 'big-house'.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Voting age should be raised.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

instead of an age restriction is should be an intelligence restriction. i just dont know how to go about that.

They tried that with Jim Crow laws and it is not a good idea. It would essentially disenfranchise the poor and disadvantaged (although the Jim Crow laws mainly disenfranchised black Americans because there were grandfather clauses that gave relief to white voters).

I don't agree with lowering the voting age, however, unless there would strict laws against discussion of partisan politics and current elections in public schools. I think it would create a situation where government workers (teachers) could (and would) attempt to influence their votes.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
No, raise it to 21.

Young minds at 18 were easily indoctrinated, it is just robo-sheep voting at ages 18 to 20.

The indoctrination was either in the home where liberal parents preach to pull the Lefty lever without question.

Or from the commie liberals who have infiltrated the school systems.

By the age of 21 the decision to make your own choices from real life experiences away from moms basement will have had time to develop an independent mind.

This analysis is complete, if you disagree you may be a sheeple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join