It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do conservatives always find themselves on the wrong side of history?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Why?

Let me know. Educate me. Make me understand. I'm all ears. Why? Why is it that with every major positive change in these United States, you're on the wrong side of the field? Level with me here. Throw some mud at me while you're at it!

It didn't help with the fact that it was conservative southerners who lead the opposition against desegregation at both the State and Federal level during the 60s.

It's a fact of history that all of those States and their State legislatures who enforced Jim Crow laws were historically and still are conservative red states today.

And no let's not use the excuse that the main reason for conservative opposition to desegration back then was purely that of 'States rights' and the constitution. Conservatives supported these laws themselves and attempted to enforce them in their respective states through their OWN state legislatures on their very own residents. Unfortunately for these conservative groups they suffered a loss in this battle thanks to the Civil Rights Act.

How about allowing two consenting adults to freely marry and have the same rights as the rest of us?
Oh that was a no no for conservatives as well! You couldn't stand on the right side of history on that issue either. Lord knows we need to tell non-whites and whites in our States who they *must* marry. Thankfully with the Loving V. Virginia Supreme Court case of 67', another loss.

More recently it was conservatives couldn't stand for gays and lesbians gaining the right to marriage. That fell with Obergefell v. Hodges a mere two years ago. Another loss

The list goes on. It goes on.

-State enforced segegration of public schools? Yep, deep red Kansas, pushed by conservatives. Shot down in 55' by the Supreme Court case of Brown V. Board of Education. Another loss.

-Slavery? Was enforced overwhelmingly by red southern conservative states. Brought down by the loss of the Civil War and the emancipation proclamation.

-Abortion? The decision on whether women have the right to choose. Conservatives lead the charge against granting this right to women. Brought down by the Roe V. Wade ruling of 73'. Another loss.

I mean we look at all these major social turning points in history, and I always seem to find those on the right to be on the wrong side, the losing side, the side that wanted to maintain the status quo.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong? Let me know. Also let me know about positive events, turning points, where conservatives supported and liberals opposed? The Iraq war? Mission accomplished right? Tax cuts for the rich? Cliven Bundy? Fox news? Christ. I can't think of anything.

Throw some mud at me. Tell me I'm partisan. I only see facts.

+36 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Total selective thinking.

If you took away all the stuff Conservatives had brought you might well have never left port from Plymouth, UK as a nation. You might have ended up like South America, as disorganized as they are.

I value the evolutionary activity of the Conservatives and I like the social strengths/activities/reforms of the Liberals. I don't like it when either get radicalized; I don't like extremism.

Mutual respect is always in order. Your redaction of Conservative activity would leave you possibly in a cave dreaming of better days, but with no entrepreneurial spirit to push the boundaries of business, law, finance, infrastructure, architecture, et c that make up civilization.

edit on 15-10-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

It's all perspective I guess. You consider all the things you listed to be positive changes. Others consider them to be negatives. I consider it a mixed bag. But, sort of like in war, just because one side loses some battles, doesn't mean they are going to lose the war. The loser in a war isn't always the side that's the most evil either. History shows that as well.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
You are assuming the a lot.

I wouldn't call abortion a win, millions of prospective American are killed by their mothers decision and will never get to vote.

See it's all about prospectives. You put this one sided click bait in the mud pit so have fun with it.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Hmm ... there were Republican Slave owners during the Civil War? Interesting ... Also, during the time after the Civil War .... Jim Crows laws were pushed by the Republicans? As a Centrist I can see better now how the those to my left thinks and how well our educational system is working... Thanks.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

It ain't over til the Fat Lady sings, and so long as even one person is willing to stand up for what they believe in, a cause is not lost. Trying to tell someone that it is, is trying to convince them they've lost the fight before it's over in an attempt to preempt the struggle you know is coming.

Do you think that guy was on the wrong side of history? How many decades were the abolitionists on the wrong side of history in this country? And they were told they were on the wrong side of history.

The dirty truth is that not you or anyone else knows what history is or will be because because history by definition implies its all in the past and done with. You can't be on the wrong side of a history that hasn't happened yet.

How foolish does Obama look right at the moment after all his proclamations about the Arab Spring ... and Gaddafi ... and Egypt? Recall that his position was the right side of history before we even knew what that would be, and now it looks like maybe he was wrong.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I see we're still playing the "My assh**es are better than your assh**es cause mine tell me what I want to hear"

You guys gettin' tired of this game yet?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Just when I thought my Sunday at work was gonna be boring.

This should be interesting. So much careful wording in the op. Booby traps everywhere. I will be checking back on this one.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I see we're still playing the "My assh**es are better than your assh**es cause mine tell me what I want to hear"

It's such a stupid phrase though when you think about it.

How can anyone be on the wrong side of something that hasn't actually been in the past yet?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

I applaud the OP for setting up that mine field, but since it's all based on a more or less false premise to begin with ... there isn't much point in attacking most of what's in it.

We first have to address whether or not someone can indeed be on the "the wrong side of history."

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
You should really look into your schools refund policy.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I applaud the OP for setting up that mine field, but since it's all based on a more or less false premise to begin with ... there isn't much point in attacking most of what's in it.

We first have to address whether or not someone can indeed be on the "the wrong side of history."

Yeah the premise alone is highly debatable.

Being an independent and a bit of a believer in the party flip theory myself, the lack of ever using the terms Republican or Democrat in the op really chums up the water.

History is history, cant change it.

edit on 10 15 2017 by SgtHamsandwich because: Clarification of wording.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

No and they have no consistent standards when they use that argument either.

It is mysteriously always applied to things they want, and they might point to how a majority of entities have laws that do what they want (socialized medicine) and then scream that if you don't want it you're on the wrong side of history. However, if they are in the mode of championing the oppressed, they will point to the supposedly oppressed minority (transgenders) and push against a majority screaming that the majority is on the wrong side of history.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: DAVID64

It's such a stupid phrase though when you think about it.

How can anyone be on the wrong side of something that hasn't actually been in the past yet?

Last night the president spoke at an anti LGBT summit and told them their views would no longer be silenced, it's pretty clear he's on the wrong side of everything.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well in my country we at least have this guy:

He was pretty spot on about that whole "Stop Hitler" thing.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Lol...OP...being the Liberal you are, keep expecting the government to care for you and yours.

I, and other Conservatives like me, will continue to try and make our way the best we can by actually earning what we have and not having everything handed to us by Uncle Sugar (slang for US Government).

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I disagree with almost everything you think and say. And I am quite sure I am right. If you feel the same way, we have what's called a conundrum. Or in the real world, it's called differing opinions. It's what brings about fantastic ideas that change the shape of humanity. You should get out more.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
A whole page of replies and not a single counterpoint!

Telling that the conservative types can't offer any rebuttals merely whining about the subject.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

This is about conservative/liberal. Back then, the Southern Democrats were conservative (i.e., states rights, less federal government, less taxes, etc.). The Southern states are still full of conservatives - they just switched parties.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Now do a thread about Liberals because they're just as big of a problem if not moreso.

Partisanship is bad for your brain, it makes you hate nearly half of the population. Why are you falling for it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join