It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Watch 2017

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The days of the Kim dynasty holding a total authoritarian grip over North Korea may well be "numbered," one of the country's highest-ranking defectors said on Wednesday, adding that dissent is on the rise in the isolated Asian country.

"The traditional structures of the North Korean system are crumbling," Thae Yong Ho said at a press conference in Seoul, according to the New York Times

Speaking to reporters, Thae said that the North Korean regime's attempts to crack down on the spread of outside information and unsanctioned economic activities was not working as a result of corruption and what he called unprecedented resistance.

"Low-level dissent or criticism of the regime, until recently unthinkable, is becoming more frequent," he said, according to NBC News

Thae called on foreign powers to continue sanctions against North Korea, and argued that the dissemination of outside information would be the best way to spark a rebellion within the North.

Time.com, Jan. 25, 2017 - A High-Ranking North Korean Defector Says the Kim Regime's Days Are 'Numbered'.

I searched for “North Korea Watch 2017” but it looks like it has not been created yet. So here you go!

I saw this story from a couple different places but this time.com article is a good summary of what is being reported. This guy defected to South Korea last year. Now he is talking to anybody who will listen about the upper echelons. Another story said he lost faith after several high ranking officials were ‘purged’ by Glorious Leader for no good reason (the Guardian, I think). In this article he said he expects “more defections from [his] colleagues will take place” (same source).

What a better place to keep tabs than the North Korea Watch 2017?

Please feel free to post an update, discuss, etc, as long as the topic is North Korea. This will be an un-hosted thread like North Korea Watch 2013-2015, states on page 1. This is an update thread to keep from spinning off too many short threads and to try to keep the possible historic-level view on what may be a dramatic year for North Korea in focus.

ETA: ATS - North Korea Watch 2016.
edit on 26-1-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: completeness

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Is this the same State Department that said nothing as the executive branch was lying about WMDs? Good.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
There's so much going on behind the scenes in Korea right now ... you wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of it if you weren't a Korean analyst for decades.

It's gonna be very difficult to guess at outcomes until after this coming December. If the present South Korean administration puts the squeeze on North Korea, I believe North Korea could come apart. For every bad winter we've experienced in the recent past, they've had a mild one over there on the other side of midnight. This one has been particularly chill. Hard to get a stagnant Army moving in Winter.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If it weren't for China propping them up and sending them so much aid, the people there would have revolted long ago. I hope there are more defections like this to come in the future. Problem is getting your family out. They usually make you leave behind someone in case you defect. I'm not sure how this guy managed to get his wife and kids out.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

If what Thae is saying is true and more people willing at least to try and defect then maybe some kind of armchair quarterbacking can be done and try to get a feel for how the people in NK feel.

It used to be, Kim Il-sung was a living embodiment of god. When he died the population could not believe it. There were cries of, "god can't die." Then Kim Jong-Il took over. His rule was absolute. As a son of god, part of the royal family, he was loved.

Now there is this story about members of the party being critical of Kim Jong Un. Yeah, that would have been unthinkable in the past and would never have been voiced before about any royal family member. The conditions in the DPRK must be really bad for a critic to say, KJU's days are "numbered".

Not to mention that the Winter Olympics 2018 are in PyeongChang. I am sure South Korea would feel better without having to keep one eye on their northern boarder while the world watches.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wouldn't doubt if they went ape on the planet. Crazy guys do that and that mofo is messed up lol. Seriously got a few screws missing mate.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Archonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Oh look! See, the watch threads do work!

ATS - North Korea Watch 2016.

He was deputy to the Ambassador in London for ten years. He had his family with him. One day, they all disappeared. Next, they see him in South Korea as a defector.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Sounds like this guy was lucky. Others not so much

immediately send a brigade to forcefully bring back a defector from Pyongyang if they had been to China. They would go through an interrogation process lasting more than a year, and many would die. Their families would be sent away to remote rural towns or prison camps.

My friends were subject to days of torture and interrogation. As they didn’t even know that I’d left the country, they didn’t suffer retaliation as severe as being sent to a prison camp or eviction from Pyongyang, though, and my father was able to avoid punishment with the aid of some party officials who vouched for him. Plus, my father is highly educated and, as he has earned a good reputation in the North, I imagine the regime couldn’t treat him harshly because they are conscious of public opinion

defector

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

China has finally complied with the UN sanctions put in place at the end of last year, releasing a list of dual use items that are now prohibited from going to N. Korea. China also warned N. Korea about performing any nuke tests during the Chinese new year like they did last year.

While I agree China is partially to blame for the North I think they backed themselves into a corner now. If the N. Korean regime collapses China will face a humanitarian disaster on their border. If they prop the regime up Kim Fat the 3rd is going to start a war, creating an equal disaster for China.

The Chinese population does not view N. Korean the same as the older generations. They feel N. Korea is a drain of resources and who is taking advantage of china. In that area the position of the population is being ignored by the Chinese government, creating some internal issues for China.

Eventually N. Korea is going to hit a point where the Chinese government will be forced to decide whats more important - all the advances they have made over the decades or go down with the North Korean Titanic.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

China has finally complied with the UN sanctions put in place at the end of last year, releasing a list of dual use items that are now prohibited from going to N. Korea. China also warned N. Korea about performing any nuke tests during the Chinese new year like they did last year.

That's good news, I didn't know that

While I agree China is partially to blame for the North

Sometimes I think about how different the world would be if China didn't save the Norths a$$ in the Korean war.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ran across this today...

On the bumpy road to North Korea's top ski resort, work gangs hack and shovel the fresh snowfall to clear the route for busloads of their fortunate fellow citizens.

There are thousands of them.

Men, women and children, red-faced from the blizzard conditions and freezing cold, wrapped up in jackets, scarves and hats, smashing the snow like metronomes with pickaxes and sticks. They the push it aside with makeshift wooden shovels.

NBCNews.com - North Korea’s Masikryong Ski Resort Is Kept Open by Work Gangs.

Cleared by hand! No assistance from a motorized vehicle. No blade in front of a truck, no grater, no blower. Nothing. It is all cleared by hand so a few can go skiing.

(Bad pun alert): How revolting!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The chief of North Korea’s powerful secret police, long considered the right-hand man for the top leader, Kim Jong-un, has been dismissed on charges of corruption and abuse of power, the South Korean government said on Friday.

The firing of the chief, Gen. Kim Won-hong, as minister of state security highlights the turmoil that has engulfed the upper reaches of Mr. Kim’s government. The general is the latest in a series of high-ranking party and military officials Mr. Kim has fired, demoted or executed as he tried to consolidate his totalitarian power through what South Korean officials and North Korean defectors have called a “reign of terror.”

NYTimes.com, Feb. 3, 2017 - North Korean Leader’s Top Enforcer Is Now the One Getting Purged.

Lucky that Glorious Leader did not have him shot with anti-aircraft guns!! He did that last year to one official that questioned his decision (I think that is the one there have been a lot in the past year). Being demoted and fired sounds better than prison.

And here I thought The Purge was an illuminati road map for the future!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

the end is near... If the state security apparatus, the entity that guarantees your hold on power, is purged it is only a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I was thinking the same. It reeks of desperation (purges).

If you only have "Yes men" surrounding you... well, that is part of the moral of The Emperor's New Clothes.

The reason for Ho defecting was precisely KJU's reign of terror. Ho said to watch more defection happening. This might be a lively thread this year!

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
ATS, Other Current Events, 2/14: Half-brother of Kim Jong-un 'assasinated' in Malaysia.
ATS, New, 2/15: Kim Jong-nam murder: Woman held.
Previous Purge post.

Looks like KJU's "reign of terror" has spread to family members. First his uncle, then his aunt (wife of 'purged' uncle for complaining) and now his older half-brother. What is KJU trying to prove? It seems like the OP's news maker is right: KJU's days are numbered if he has resorted to destroying ALL dissenters including family.

And the setting is Malaysia (see the "Woman held" thread for reports on the setting of this deed). If Ian Fleming needs a plot this would be it!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I felt like now is an appropriate time to add to this thread, especially with the recent deployment of THAAD to South Korea.

Now of course, this is a response to continue ballistic missile test launches such as the four launched last week or the one launched in February.

Well well, is it time to renew this war that has been on ice for half a century??

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Hey Xcath. I have been thinking about this NK issue lately. Something will eventually have to be done about it. I get that NK is a buffer to China, and I get that the U.S. along with it's allies SK and Japan may need to act at some point.

What are your thoughts on China going ahead and Annexing NK? I would support that. Hell, I would support a U.S./China effort to get this done. This way, China gains the territory (rich in rare Earth minerals), no more fears of the U.S. taking over NK. Meanwhile, the U.S. benefits because we could pull a large amount of military resources out of SK and use them elsewhere.

What are your thoughts on that?
edit on 10-3-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

No way man, the world needs a united Korea. The Koreans deserve their independence. Before WW2 they belonged to Japan. It was Communist Chinese ambitions that divided the country. These people deserve to be together again just like Germany.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

No way man, the world needs a united Korea. The Koreans deserve their independence. Before WW2 they belonged to Japan. It was Communist Chinese ambitions that divided the country. These people deserve to be together again just like Germany.

Well, if the U.S. were to ally with China on this, then most assuredly there would be an agreement to bring all the families back together. Would it really matter if it was Chinese territory at this point? Even a Chinese govt would be 100x better than the current regime in NK. Would it be more worth it to potentially start a WWIII scenario over it?

I'm just spit-balling here.
edit on 10-3-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Well, I mean, this guy probably has half a dozen warheads at max. He would only target Japanese or American assets and refrain from nuking SK. Too close to home, plus they already have enough artillery pointed at Seoul that half the city would be in flames in hours.

With Japanese and South Korean THAAD deployments, as we also know the Japanese have a few ABM tricks of their own, I think we could mitigate any launches of aggression on his part.

It would be a crazy gamble, but if he launched his entire arsenal, the chances are high we can get 90% of them or even all of them since hes got less than ten. He is too surrounded and has too few warheads to risk an unsuccessful first strike. I think Oceania has the upper hand here, and is why we are hearing some pleading from China in regards to NK provocations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join