It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask any question you want about Physics

page: 354
<< 351  352  353   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
question, a decent one this time. no trolling.

apparently intact bottles of wine and or champagne were salvaged from the titanic wreck.

potablity issues aside. how did the bottles or cork not get compromised with the crushing pressures of sitting for 90 years (likely ) at 12,500 foot depths
Some survived intact, and some didn't. Did you see the movie "The Abyss" where they fill the diver's suit with oxygen-containing liquid? That was science-fiction but with a relatively good grounding in science fact.

Liquids compress only slightly so the biggest problem with compression at depth isn't with liquids, it's with gases. If the bottle is relatively full, there's not much gas to compress, so maybe the cork got pushed in a little at depth to partially equalize the pressure and it may have moved back out somewhat as the bottle was brought to the surface, again to partially equalize the pressure.

I read about some corks blowing a hole through the bottom of the bottle but it's hard to find details. I don't think that would happen if the bottle was full, but if it was only 1/5 full or so I could see how that might happen. The ocean side of a 3/4" cork would have 2460 pounds on the 3/4" surface area trying to push the cork inside, but the pressure on the opposite side of the cork in the bottle would only be about 6.5 lbs (1/379th as much since it would be 1 atm instead of 379 atm). That's a net force pushing in of over 2450 pounds, so when the cork finally broke loose it might be something like a bb fired from an air rifle except bigger and faster.

The reason I don't think that would happen on a full bottle is the gas pressure inside the bottle would rise very rapidly as the cork moved even a little inside the bottle, which would stop the cork, and even if that didn't stop the cork, the liquid inside the bottle would slow it down enough to prevent it breaking through the bottom, I think.

edit on 2018215 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
First ever image taken of a atom. It is the tiny white dot between the two pins. The two pins are about 2mm appart.

strontium-atom

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: spy66
No source?
Is that a question?
I don't think it's the first image of an atom, seeing as these images were posted in 2009 and even they don't claim to be the first images of an atom, though I don't recall any previous imagery showing the shapes of atoms:

New Microscope Reveals the Shape of Atoms

originally posted by: VitalOverdose
reply to post by Nathwa

Well it proves that the maths we have been using to simulate atoms and the theories we have come up with about the way they work are correct. It means we are on the right track to understanding how the universe works.

We are indeed clever little monkeys

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I dont know if you noticed, but the image is from a ardinary camera?

You can see the atom With Your eyes..... No one have seen a atom before live With their own eyes.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66
What I noticed is that you didn't provide a source, and I asked you about a source in reply, and you made another post without providing the source.

I shouldn't even have to ask. If you didn't take that picture yourself (which I assume is the case), then you should have provided the source for it when you posted it.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Since spy66 apparently cant be bothered to back up his own source... this is the best review of it i can find in about 30 seconds of looking
www.epsrc.ac.uk...

www.dpreview.com...

It is apparently a strontium atom trapped in an ion trap, the neat part being that it is trapped so well that it's movement is highly confined. The photograph is a long exposure, illuminated with a UV lamp. The electrons in the strontium atom are absorbing the UV light and re-emitting it in all directions at higher wavelength (shifting from UV to visible)

There is such little light that it has to be long exposure. The little spot in the middle represents the approximate location of the atom as it floats about in the trap.

Pretty neat
In reality the strontium atom is not visible to an optical instrument in this manner.

top topics

<< 351  352  353   >>

join